Beginners Journey

Fixed Axel February!

So I am now a few days into Fixed Axel February. I had the pleasure to be able to purchase a Wildwood Gnomad from Mr. Eric ( @Eric_Newlin ). The craftsmanship is amazing. This has been the only Yoyo I have thrown for the last week.

Mr. Nate (@yomartyo) is hosting Fixed Axel February Challenges. I have learned so much about this style from this thread; Fixed Axle February-WEEK 1 - #27 by TryCatchThrow

Some of my Key Learnings so far;

Responsiveness of the Fixed Axel “IS” important. Increasing String Torsion helps to increase responsiveness.

As Mr. @CaptainFoxxButt said in the above link “Gonna wanna do a lot of sidewinders”

Very helpful information from Mr. @TryCatchThrow about which sidewinder to do; “Regardless of which hand you throw, if your sidewinder has your hand left of the throw, it loosens tension. Just like a screwdriver. Righty tighty, lefty loosie.”

The use of Chap Stick on the end of the string that goes around the axel can also help to increase responsiveness.

I also am learning about Bearing Blanks, being able to replace the bearing in the yoyo with this “Blank” will make the yoyo play like a fixed axel. Some of these are pre-machined and drop-in replacements. Others require shims…

I had a nice Conversation with Mr. Alex @Xanadu about modifying bearings to make a “Blank”.

I am very thankful to this community and all the people (like above) that take the time to explain the “Whys” of things and not just the “Hows”. THANK YOU

Currently - My Only Goal right now is to be able to complete a Trapeeze Stall and Catch it back to the hand for my Week 1 Entry.

This is so much fun. I am hoping to get a Blank or Modified Bearing/Blank into some of my 0.5A Yoyos. I have committed to not throwing any Bearing Yoyos for this Month.

This is a personal challenge, being fresh to yoyo, changing my routine has been difficult. Typically I would practice Unresponsive, Responsive, and then Finish with Modern Responsive. 0A will definitely be in the rotation when I get back to this in March.

Here is the latest Yoyo Wall. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I got bitten by the Yoyo Acquisition Bug hard.

Kids - Nothing new to post about them at this time. Not a lot of string time lately with extra curricular activities.

Have Fun.

Update- With the help of my 7 year-old camera woman, we final got a Fixed Axel February Week 1 Trapeeze Stall captured.

This was about take 28. I had a better performance before this… “I forgot to record it Daddy.”

9 Likes