Beginners Journey

String Theory; In physics, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings. String theory describes how these strings propagate through space and interact with each other.

One String to Rule them All?

“What is the best string?” While this may seem like an “Easy Question”, I have found it is more complicated than a simple answer. If there was a “best string”; wouldn’t it be the only one available? The “One” everyone uses?

Yet, we have a multitude of Manufacturers, Material Types, Thicknesses, Lengths, etc.

So what as beginners should we purchase or use?

Yoyo String Theory

The simplest answer I have found is; Whatever works for you, your style, and the Yoyo you are throwing. Again a vague answer.

String is a consumable item. Each string type/size, like each yoyo, has its own personality. So finding what material and thickness works best for you and “the yoyo” it is on, is the goal.

“We won’t know unless we try.”

My recommendation to anyone starting out is to get several sample packs of different material types and sizes. This is “why” sample packs are made. Don’t do what I did and purchase several bulk string packs, only to find they don’t perform with your yoyo of choice or to your expectations.

In the beginner yoyo area, 100% Poly String standard size, seems to work great across the majority of the Yoyos. Don’t be afraid to change your string often.

When I started to learn to bind, I found a Thicker/Fatter string aided in learning to bind on a wider gap yoyo. However, that Thicker/Fatter string would snag more in the responsive yoyos I was playing with.

We tend to focus on the Object (Yoyo) and progression (Skills/Tricks), but I think we can lose sight of the interaction between us and the object (String).

Find the string that works with your yoyo and plays the way you want it to. Remember, this is for our enjoyment. When you have found this mythical string, then look into purchasing it in bulk.

Have Fun.

2 Likes