Beginner, amatuer, Pro?

To me a Pro yo-yo player can be a few different things. Some people see a Pro player as somebody that: Competes at higher levels, plays well enough to be Sponsored and tours and demos, a player that is Good enough to give on the spot Demonstrations at just about any skill level, etc.

A second ‘Marker’ to identify a Pro level player just spoke in the post above me. Ed…<Ed is a Pro level Yo-yo player. He is highly skilled no matter how you look at it. He is an Excellent trick teaching Instructor. Because he is also an actual Teacher; that only adds to his effectiveness. He is also a Martial Arts Expert; which allows him the added benefit of the Diciplines of ‘focus and self motivation’.

His bearing level 1A skills are higher than he would care to admit. And his fixed axle Magic literally has to be seen to be believed. On a fixed axle ladder, Ed is not looking up at the bottoms of anybody’s shoes. He is a Fixed axle Master.

…Now on another note, I would suggest you watch the following 2 minute video. It is a Perfect example of Pro level skills. When you get to the point that you can perform a super figure 8 trick combo like Jason Lee. And you can do it as smoothly and effortlessly as Jason does in this video; you are at Pro level status whether you believe it or not. Simply Amazing flow.

The Greatest thing about yo-yo playing is the fact that you can have fun at Any level of play. Some people just as in any endeavor, have more natural potential than others. But with few exceptions, where you get to in yoyos is primarily related to how much effort you put into getting there.

Never short circuit your enthusiasm by setting lofty goals. You will learn by doing. You will not learn by buying 100 yoyos. You will progress by having a few good yoyos and studying yo-yo just like anything else that takes dicipline and patience.

If your mindset is to throw to have fun; you will. Regardless, you won’t get any more out of it than you are willing to put into it.

I have literally hundreds of yoyos. Not a single one of them came with ‘tricks included’. Doesn’t faze me a bit.

I can’t pick up a yoyo without smiling. And if I ever entered a Yoyo Contest with a total of 10 contestants; I would probably finish in 11th place behind the Janitor.

I would simply smile and ask him to put the mop down so I could shake his hand. And then I would ask him to teach me that Bucket trick, lol.

When you eventually get really ‘good’ you may not even think of yourself as being ‘that good’. But you will know because others at higher levels will tell you.

If you are throwing yoyos and you are having fun, you are right where you need to be.

5 Likes

Yes, having fun is the greatest level to be at. Words of wisdom from you!

I wish there was a place in the forums for total beginners or people who are not advancing super fast or that are struggling with the basics. It seems almost everyone in the forums is super-advanced. I’m a little embarrassed to be on this site. Total beginners or those struggling at the bottom IM me or something…

We all was a beginner at some point, and you’re definitely not the only one. If you need pointers for tricks there is a yoyo trick section where you can ask anything about it.

If it makes you feel better, I’ve been yoyoing for like 5 years or so and would still call myself pretty basic (I don’t get much into slacks, rejections, and so on). I don’t know what others would consider me, but in my eyes I would be like an intermediate skilled yoyoer.

We all have to start somewhere. I was in your position 3 years ago too. At that stage I just mainly focused on practicing and enjoying myself and whenever I had trouble, I would go to the forums, usually the “YoYo Tricks” section and ask for help or guidance. I didn’t really get too engaged with the forums otherwise until I completed, for the most part, the advanced sections of the YYE tricklist, at which point I believe you are no longer a beginner.

Yoyoing is just all about enjoyment and constant improvement comes with that, don’t worry too much about where you are now at the moment. When I first started out I thought I’d be satisfied aftering completing the advanced sections of the tricklist. Once I got there I wasn’t satisfied, I wanted to start learning more unique elements and making my own tricks and develop flow. This is where I’m at right now and again, still not satisfied. I feel like I’m barely at the advanced stage right now and am currently striving to the point where I’m skilled enough to be able to consistently make finals at smaller, state-level contests.

Just keep practicing, the progress will come.