Beefcaked Duncan Hayabusa SL

Hi all,

I have successfully beefcaked a Duncan Hayabusa SL and it’s actually pretty nifty. I had two identical unopened Hayabas but I don’t throw 4A and even then they’re outdated, so I thought I’d have a bit of fun with them.

Setup:
Gold spacer on both sides
2 A-bearings (these needed to be cleaned)
Silicone sticker on one side

Play:
On first throw I was pleasantly surprised. For having such high walls, it’s more stable than I expected, however, spin time dawdled because of the lubed up bearings. So I put them in some turpentine for a couple of hours, dried them off and added a tiny bit of thin lube, which considerably increased spin time. Another benefit of the beefcake mod was that the spot in between the two bearings acted as a groove, kind of like how a concave bearing would work.

Of course while it doesn’t compare to modern yoyos in terms of spin time or stability, it makes for a fun oversized, laid back throw, with which you can bust out most of your favourite tricks. As someone who isn’t a competition player, I tend to appreciate organic laidback yoyos. I think people who have a slower, more deliberate, buttery smooth style of play will love this.

If I ever get access to a lathe some day I’d love to make it recessed to take it to the next level, however, that is highly unlikely, but for now I am very pleased with how it turned out.

9 Likes

Nice. Good to see someone experimenting with mods. Seems rare these days.

1 Like