Bearing won’t stay unresponsive

I got some klean-strip acetone a while ago from home depot.

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think lighter fluid is superior. I think it’s just available in smaller containers than acetone, and maybe it seems more available to some people. If you live in a big city, the convenience or the grocery store down the street probably has lighter fluid, and it would take a lot more effort and time to get to a hardware store.

Mazel Top says you should not use lighter fluid in bearings.

1 Like

The shields are off when you clean the bearing. Are you putting the shields back on? If so, you might try the bearing without the shields. Just a thought.

1 Like

I’ve never tried to put the shields back on. That seems like a fool’s errand to me.

4 Likes

You know, I always used to out the shields back on but I never do anymore.

I don’t anymore. I mean I guess more gunk and string fibers get in, but idk it’s such a pain

I am referring to the non-industrial that can be bought at most grocery stores. The issue is that they claim 100% acetone but still have separate additives designed to cause vomiting if swallowed. I am not certain these additives are good for yoyo bearings. With my experience the 100% acetone I have bought from a normal store has not worked nearly as well as lighter fluid or mineral spirits which are almost as accessible.