How to clean bearing...?(Link please?)

So I have some questions-
What should I use with for a liquid to dip the bearing in?
Should I take the bearing apart before putting it in?
If there is a forum post about a whole desc. about how to clean your bearing can you post it please?
Thanks!

Have you looked here: List of useful modification and maintenance guides

1 Like

There is a lot more to know about this.

Unresponsive bearings need constant care. And will become responsive over periods of play. Be sure to de-shield your bearing. First if it becomes responsive, Start easy check the bearing seat for debris or small “defects.” Then flick your bearing on a pen, or pencil, Doesbit spin easy, rough, or not at all? If it is either of those it will either need a Pinhead of lube or cleaning. To clean your bearings. Get some 100% Pure Mineral Spirits(What I use) pour some into a small Glass cup bowl ect. just enough to cover the bearing fully. then put your bearing in. Swish it move it around with a toothpick. After about 30-45 mins (time will vary depending on how dirty your bearing is) take it out and put in on a pen, pencil then Spin it dry. After that wipe it off and dry it completely with a paper towel. Then place it in the yoyo and using a PIN dip it in the lube (MAKE SURE IT IS THIN LUBE) and touch a few bearing balls. Then spin and touch spin and touch until it feels smooth again.

After the lubing process the yoyo will be responsive for a little while. Just break it in with play.

You might need to do this once every few months or when it gets responsive again. Responsiveness can also come from the following: Double Rapped string. Fresh pads or silicone.

Hope I helped!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guy! Though I’m still trying to figure out if I should use Acetone or Mineral Spirits…
I’m leaning towards Mineral Spirits. I like Method one in

But I watched another video, posted in the chat, and both things that the guy said in that quote, and Bcmaddog said… In the video the person used lighter fluid,(ik it’s not recommended) and let it sit in the glass for 10 minutes… In the one Bcmaddog said(using Mineral Spirits) he did 30-45 minutes. But in Method 1 it said 5 minutes. (I wish i could make a poll but i don’t know how to, if you do, please message or reply how

.<) Soo…
Vote Please
Mineral Spirits- 30-45 or 5 min.
Mineral Spirits or Aceton

Thanks guys!

I mainly use lighter fluid (as in Ronsonol or Zippo for example). There’s no more risk than with mineral spirits (pretty minimal actually) compared to acetone as far as toxicity or flammability goes. Acetone is pretty harsh stuff IMO. You shouldn’t need to soak a bearing more than 5-10 minutes. 5 is usually more than sufficient.

My times vary on what I’m using and how dirty my bearings are. Sometimes I do 5-10 sometimes longer. I personally would stay away from acetone. (JMO) Stick with Lighter Fluid Or Mineral Spirits.

If you let them soak for 1-5 minutes and spin them dry and they are smooth, your good. If you do it for 1-5 minutes and they spin a little rough, put them back in. :wink:

I trust both of your instincts. But I dont’ like the part about flammable…
I’ll ask my dad about what he has, and what’s cheaper I’ll get.
So Mineral Spirits is about 5-10 minutes.
Lighter Fluid 5 min

Most any solvent you use will be flammable.

An alternative recommended by Frank Difeyo of Dif-e-yo yoyos is Simple Green all purpose cleaner.
http://www.simplegreen.com/products_all_purpose_cleaner.php

Ref: http://www.dif-e-yo.com/Tech%20Tips.htm

1 Like

Yes, Almost every solvent is flammable. Just take a glass jar outside fill it up, let them sit for 5-10 minutes depending on how dirty, and see if they spin rough or smooth on a pen. Then pour it out in the sink or the middle of your yard.

There’s really no need to take it outside. It’s not going to blow up your house or anything. You’re not talking large quantities here.

I know, he said he wanted non-flammable so the best option it outside.