Bearing cleaning

Just wondering, when should you clean a bearing? Right out of the box or not for a couple months?

Whenever the inside of the bearing gets gritty or dirty. If it comes out of the box and it seems like there’s something in it or if it has too much lube, then clean it. Otherwise, you shouldn’t need to clean it right when you get it.

Sweet and umm how do you tell if there is dirt or what not? Just check?

You can deshield and check if you want, but it isn’t necessary. Just throw a sleeper. How does it spin? If it feels rough on the string, then there might be something in it. Sometimes, if the bearing gets really loud and “scratchy,” then there light be something in it. Just play with the yo-yo, and you’ll know.

Thanks haha, sorry for the dumb questions :stuck_out_tongue:

There are questions, and there are no questions. However, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

lol, rhetorical questions are what I call dumb questions. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not really necessary, but I like to clean bearing right out of the box. I take off the c-clips and toss them, soak the bearing in lighter fluid, use compressed air to dry it out, drop in some v4m lube, then use compressed air to blow out the excess lube.

I find this gives me a base line for the bearing’s performance when clean. Then, if it slows or gets noiser, or just feels different; I know I need to clean it. I find that I don’t have to re-clean them often.

It depends. I find Duncan products, the bearings need to be cleaned right away. Same with Shinwoo… Other brands don’t tend to require an initial cleaning.

I did buy some B-sized bearing that were full of grease when I bought them new.

Worse case is you play it and discover “hey, this needs cleaning”. Not really a big deal.