Bad Bearings

Hey! Something strange happened, and I have never seen something like this…

So, I’m working on a new throw, and the prototypes arrived early. So I bought a couple of generic concave bearings on the Internet, since I had given out what I had here to some fellow players.

They arrived, 8 balls, unsealed. Ok… should work for a first testing of the prototypes.

Wobbly, responsive yo-yos… wouldn’t sleep more than 15 seconds. It couldn’t be… I couldn’t have made a yo-yo THAT bad!

Threw the bearing in isopropyl alcohol, changed the axle, made centered hole tests…

Time for a new test… nothing changed. Must be ONE bad bearing. So I grabbed the other one I bought… same thing!!

I started to worry for my new throws. I must suck!

So it came to me that I had other throws with bearings from the same specs (duh!!)…

So I reached for a 10 balls concave bearing, and magic happened! Smooth, unresponsive yo-yo bliss!

So I’m not a fraud after all! WooHoo!!

Then I took one of the “sucker” bearings and put it on a YYJ Hitman. Plays well, I must say - some plastic vibe, but OK… returned to my prototype, and it sucked.

One thing I noticed. If I touched the yo-yo, it would stop wobbling, but the string was still vibing badly! The vibe was coming from the bearing!

Strange… really strange…

But these bearings started to bother me… I lubed, cleaned, put them on the dremmel tool for some minutes on very high speeds…

Nothing changed… then I put one of those on a ProJam. Again, noisy, responsive and very low spin time.

I’m awed that the Hitman worked with the generic bearing… my guess is that the bearings suck from a lack of precision. And that the Hitman’s weight compensate for it, since it’s heavier than my prototype and the ProJam.

Does this make sense?

I know that weight, distribution, material, all change the interaction with a given bearing, but I’ve never seen this happen with such a difference in 16 years I’ve been throwing. Have you ever seen something like that? Let me know! :slight_smile:

OH! BTW! If you’re asking (I hope you are!): The prototype is awesome, and I’m planning to release a cool throw soon!

7 Likes

Just out of curiosity have you tried a flat bearing? Odd that some yoyos play bad and others good with the same bearing. Love your choice of the Hitman.

4 Likes

Hitman is my favorite classic throw! :smiley:

Actually, I have tried a flat bearing, and it worked very well! Unfortunately, I don’t know how many balls it has inside. It’s an old chrome steel bearing that was sitting around, dry, but I’ve never taken the seals off.

The flat bearing made the yo-yo a little snappier that the concave… now I have one with the 10 ball concave and one with the flat bearing!

Thanks for asking! :slight_smile:

2 Likes