Avalanche by CLYW makes its Return to YYE! - Available Thursday 04/11/24 - 10pm ET!

Avalanche_Feature

Caribou Lodge’s revered flagship model makes its triumphant return.

Originally crafted as the signature throw for 2010 1A British champion Christian Kaluza, the Avalanche retained its revered status within the CLYW lineup even after Christian’s departure from the team. Initially released as a limited edition for the European market, its overwhelming popularity propelled it to worldwide acclaim.

Frozen-Mammoth-Avalanche Frozen-Mammoth-Avalanche-02 Frozen-Mammoth-Avalanche-03

This mid-sized yo-yo offers stability and seamless maneuverability, enabling you to revel in the satisfaction of commanding a weightier throw with precision. With the Avalanche, you’ll always feel intimately connected to your yo-yo, effortlessly igniting your desired tricks without overextending or falling behind. Whether you prefer a brisk pace or a leisurely rhythm, this Caribou Lodge masterpiece embodies enduring excellence.

11 Likes

can someone convince me not to buy this pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplea

10 Likes

Just do it😉

3 Likes

@theendofcake

2 Likes

I have had my OG Avalanche sitting in my “keepers” box since I bought it when it first came out. It is an iconic CLYW yo-yo that I still play after what; like 10+ years?

8 Likes

I second this. I’ve had an OG Avalanche in my case for over a decade as well, and it still holds up like a champ.

EDIT: I have to admit that I’ve played the revised Avalanche as well when it was first released, and I much prefer the OG, but I’m fully willing to admit that’s because I’m an OG CLYW snob.

2 Likes

I played them both as well and the revised Ava was definitely not on the same level as the OG. The weight on this one seems to be closer to the OG if I remember correctly. I thought the updated one was sub 67g. Curious to know if this is like a V3 or if I’m just wrong and it’s the same as the old updated one

2 Likes

I am also curious to know whether this is V3? I assumed it was V2. Does anyone know?

2 Likes

From what Steve said on the CL discord they sent the revised Avalanche file to the new machine shop with zero changes.

1 Like

to help the conversation, should be the exact same specs

1 Like

Alright, I’m just gonna say it.

Where them Chiefs at?

How about an orca?

Cliff?

Retro releases from CLYW would be incredible

3 Likes

No more Chiefs there is a revised version called the Leaf on the way

1 Like

Can someone explain why the name Leaf was chosen? It rhymes with Chief I guess…

They said they wouldn’t make any more? Is it like the Draupnir where YYR decided not to make any more because the hype was so much that no one would buy any more models?

But I’d personally still love to see some more Orcas…

1 Like

i don’t think so, i think steve just wanted an improved chief (and a change in name iirc)

also don’t think orcas will ever get rereleased, i rmemeber reading somewhere that the otter is a straight improvement from the orca to steve and harrison so there’s no reason to make a new one

2 Likes

Is the countdown timer correct? It seems to be counting down to 11PM ET.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, as far as I can tell the below are the specs for each run:

OG; 2nd Run; 3rd Run (Current)
Diameter - 55.5mm; 55.54mm; 55.23mm
Width - 43mm; 43.06mm; 42.88mm
Weight - 67.2g; 65.8g; 67.05g
Gap Width - 4.14mm; Not sure; 4.5mm

Numbers are taken from: High Speed Yoyo’s review of the OG; another retailer; and YYE’s listing.

Diameter and width are close enough that it’s probably just machining tolerances/differences in how they were measured (e.g. said other retailer has a marginally different width and weight listing to YYE for the 3rd run). Idk about the difference in weight between the 2nd run and the others though.

2 Likes