At long last, slimline responsive delrins!

Finally obtained something I’ve been seeking for a year.

It’s the Thing v1 prototype from the eminently awesome Vivek at toybania!

I’ve always wanted a modern slimline delrin / POM responsive (narrow bearing) yoyo but … they didn’t exist. As far as I know, until Vivek made one.

I ordered the prototype from India and it arrived today. Popped it on the scale and 56.5g with string, so around 55.5g?

I placed a Deep State next to it for comparison and it’s a tiny bit larger in diameter, and perhaps 1 to 1.5mm wider on each side? And with 3yo3 side effects (when the heck did I get these, they’re not even in the onedrop weight page) and string, a Deep State is 52.3g. I thought it played a little light but after weighing it, clearly it isn’t!

And now you can finally get that machined plastic softer feel in a modern slimline responsive. Not sure what changes Vivek plans to make based on the proto though!

The other slimline delrin out there that I have preordered is the OhYesYo & Rain City sk8r. Won’t be available for a month or two yet from what I heard last.

12 Likes

Love the unresponsive!

I’ve been toying with the idea of producing some fixed axle yoyos out of POM.

3 Likes

Love it! How much did you get it for? (the responsive slimline)

1 Like

$45 as I recall for the v1 proto

1 Like

Thanks!!! Not a bad price!

That top one is sharp! I’ve always loved the look of black delrin yoyos.

3 Likes

What are you even talking about

He’s talking about the specific side effects on his Deep State. 3YO3 side effects would be the Baseline 2 side effects I believe. They’re like a cross between lego and spike.

1 Like

Yeah, they look like this:

http://onedropyoyos.com/side-effects/#&gid=1&pid=2

2 Likes

Thank you so much for spreading a word about Thing. While the final version seems to have a lot more changes, we are working on some ideas to allow players to change the weight of the throw with weight rings. But we should have Thicc prototypes ready as well by end of the month or first week of October.

4 Likes

How does it compare to the Bolt 2?

Bolt2 is a fair bit wider at 39mm, I wouldn’t call that slimline, more like 2008-2009 classic throwback width :wink:

This is probably ~30mm width (I need to get some calipers!)

Edit: just to add, the Bolt 2 is excellent and I also highly recommend it. You’ll need to add a slim bearing to make it responsive though, it comes out of the box unresponsive. The solution to all of life’s problems is… more yoyos :grin:

2 Likes

I liked the Thing so much I picked up another two and half swapped them for a Pokeball look!

Any other future plans @Vivektoybania?

9 Likes

We already have STOOPID ready

3 Likes

I’ve been looking at the Thing for a while. Could you post a picture of it next to a deep state of a confusion for comparison? Really curious to how they compare.

4 Likes

Not a Deep State but i have an og Alleycat to compare.

7 Likes

Cool comparison pic. Does it feel heavy? To me delrin often comes off as being more heavy than aluminium.

I can make slimline acetal responsives.

I’m more interested in making unresponsives from it right now.

3 Likes

Far less interesting, there are tons of POM unresponsives out there.

I can only list two POM slimline responsives in the entire world, and one of them is the rain city / oyy Sk8er which you personally hate :rofl:

3 Likes

And just how did you come to that conclusion? Was it when I told you that I liked the Rain City/OYY Sk8er?..

3 Likes