Are you more of a yoyo collector or a player?

Both?

Both. Both is good.

3 Likes

I love diagrams! :clap:

6 Likes

I have a moderate amount of throws (around 50) which to normal people seems excessive. I acquired many in the first few months back into the hobby after years of only owning a single N12 gathering dust. I like learning about the history of yoyoing whether it be a specific throw or an entire era. I value any throws that have history to them as much as the ones that play great. However, I’m also thinking about what I can sell that doesn’t get played much.

I’ve definitely learned a few tricks since and have smoothed out much of my play style, but I’m not trying my hardest to be competitive. I’ve been listening to @Modern_yoyos podcast a bit, and talking to throwers I know IRL about working on flow, improvisation, and thinking of branching into other skill toys to add even more enjoyment.

So I guess I’m much of both like many people :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I probably should have said 2 or more hours; I could probably squeeze in a solid hour of playtime everyday if I were truly being dedicated.

But to be honest, im not that dedicated. I still throw everyday, but only for about 20 minutes on average when I get back from work. I have about 3 hours of free time on any given day (discounting weekends), and most of that is spent doing boring household chores, cooking, and watching something for about a half hour while eating. Im single and not in a stable mid-life routine, so I got other stuff on the plate as well.

I reach new plateaus almost every time I spend a dedicated 2 or 3 hour playing yoyo, but that is incredibly rare. I spend 50+ hours a week working (not salaried, and the pay is good), but it is night shift and my commute is over an hour one way.

But like you said, some people have more time than me, so I concede. But im not about to live on 4 hours of sleep just to find more yoyo time.

8 Likes

I’m more of a string maker who tries to do tricks. In case you wondering. I currently have about 1,000 on hand.

5 Likes

I haven’t read the entire thread but this is my current thoughts…

I love to yo-yo and I love “making new tricks or adding to combos I already have… I don’t look many tutorials up now a days but I love to try new random things out when I want too.

I love buying new yo-yos I’ve had my eye one and adding them to my collection. Getting a new yo-yo in the mail in a great feelings

But as far as a “player” or “collector” I’m probably both… I buy lots of new yo-yos for my collection but I’m not afraid to play with them. Do I want to keep them as nice as I can? Yes or course, but I still buy them to use.
: )

8 Likes

Right on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I try to learn 2 tricks a month.

I usually buy 2 throws a month.

I guess I’m equal parts collector and thrower. :rofl:

7 Likes

YoyoDoc is a “Maven.”

1 Like

silky
I am most definitely a player…

9 Likes

Not sure where I would fit, I tend to think of myself more as a yoyo enthusiast - I enjoy the hobby be it obtaining a new yoyo or learning/discovering a new trick…or teaching somebody else how to throw. I don’t compete and I’m not collecting every model/variation of a yoyo, though I do have a significant amount of yoyos I’ve obtained over the years that caught my interest. I do carry a yoyo on my person almost daily for those times I may feel the need to do some tricks.

6 Likes

When my collection hit 150 yoyos and I mounted a wooden display cabinet in my living room, my wife asked me what these ‘things’ are for. I then googled yoyo and realized you can do some pretty cool tricks with these ‘things’, so I decided to order some string and try it out for myself.

It was definitely worth it, yoyos are also fun to play with.

19 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

Well I throw every day, there are 365 days in the year. I only own a touch over 200 yoyos, therefore based on 365>200 I am a player!

6 Likes

I throw as much as I can but I love waiting on the mailman.

6 Likes

That diagram is cool. Someone should make a site showing these diagrams for the pros.

I only collect souls.

1 Like

I see myself as more of a player. I have 7 pretty decent yoyos and I don’t really get more unless i feel like I’d actually play with them. Idk what that makes me, a bit of both? Yoyos are a lot pricier than other collectible things so I’m pretty conservative with them.

5 Likes

I love to have a few yoyos i use to have alot but keep less after selling or my giveaways i keep 3 that i can’t sell but im more of a player and picky what throws i get

2 Likes

I thought about that but it would involve a lot of judgement calls and opinions or a lot of leg work to get self evaluations and it just didn’t seem worth the effort, but you can always set some up for yourself and whoever else. I’d probably try to refine the categories first.

2 Likes