Are Unresponsive Throws Really "Yoyos"?

In my opinion, pretty much! But it’s up to you what you wanna call it. :wink:

I’m going to call them whirli gigs.

yes, yes they are.

Is it still a yoyo when your string snaps? :wink:

1 Like

No, it becomes a dangerous projectile.

If we give unresponsive yoyos a whole different name, then i think it would be a lot more complicated to explain to non-yoyoers what they are…

I stand with Mike on this one. The analogy of automatic and manual cars is spot on!

Suppose you ask merriam webster what electricity is, and then ben franklin. Who would you trust?

So based on all this abstract reasoning then illogical minds would indicate that: bearings that fail are no longer bearings and strings that break are no longer strings and axles that snap are no longer axles?

I have an alternate name for people that use convoluted reasoning to generate threads with no valid substance other than banter. But following Board policy, I am not allowed to use certain accurately descriptive words to identify that type of disfunctional grey matter.

So the family friendly word would be ‘Jello’.

2 Likes

Is this an implication that you consider unresponsive throws as “broken” yoyos?

Would you consider an empty milk carton ‘empty’?

Put down that bucket of jello…

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t understand you…

You sir, just made my day…

to translate yoyodocs sarcasm and a few other words he would rather not say on family forum.

yoyodoc thinks this thread is utter rubbish… He thinks time would be better spent talking about jello then about are bearing yoyos really yoyos…

Now what i say… Of course bearing yoyos are yoyos would you say a hairlless cat is not a cat… It just doesn’t have some of the qualities that other cats have because of the genetic rendering it inherited from its parents.

yoyos with bearings are just the same as yoyos with bearings…
Yoyos with bearings just have bearings other then having a fixed axle. This thread is really just nonsense if they weren’t really yoyos someone smarter then all of us would have figured it out now and sold it under another name…

Is this thread about bearings/no-bearings or responsive/unresponsive yoyos?

unresponsive throws usually have a bearing i have yet to see a fixed axle really get the unresponsive down… Well maybe gn yoyo co. text…but that also doesn’t really count as a yoyo…

Alecto and Yoyodoc are out of jello, and they simply can’t understand the knowledge of yo-yos not being yo-yos if the don’t fit uninformed/dated dictionary definitions. That’s all.

you callin me stupid…

Just stating that you’re part of the solution via sarcasm.

Boomerangs that don’t return are called Frisbees…

I’m an English Major and Teacher so I feel like I should point out, that Dictionaries don’t define words.
People define words and the dictionary tries to put the generally conferred upon definition into words on a page.

A definition will never be totally accurate for everyone who uses the word because we all use words in different ways.

According to your definitions this is also a yoyo:

But, no one really thinks this is a yoyo.

Old yoer is right about fighting Unresponsive. I did the same thing.
I swore I would always play responsive. But, eventually I gave in to the darkside, and never looked back. It’s just too much fun, sorry Ed :smiley:

For the record, I do play responsive still now and then. It’s not like you can’t go back and forth.