The only way to please everyone would be to ensure everyone who wants to buy one, can buy one, on release. We all know that is unrealistic… but more importantly… if there was that much supply, then there wouldn’t even be this rabid demand in the first place. It’s luxury goods 101.
Which is why I said all is fair in love and war.
The only adjacent conversation worth having, is related to the potential to backdoor products before release – which is much more serious than botting post-release as it creates an even larger asymmetric playing field.
This doesn’t seem fundamentally different. It’s just another matter of knowing how these platforms (sometimes) work, which is obviously not a secret. This type of activity is also much easier to detect.
I think the biggest and most solvable issue is the countdown widget. If they are useful for informational purposes, they can go somewhere that doesn’t interfere with add-to-cart.
Is the peak really that good of a throw for someone to pay 2-3x msrp. I’ve thrown the BvM and campfire both were enjoyable but not something I put a pause on life to try to get. 10am on weekday working in healthcare, good luck if I wanted one
The appeal is really the history behind it, if that doesn’t interest you then I think you’d be underwhelmed and disappointed. I convinced a guy at yoyo club to sell his 3rd run Peak that he had bought as a kid, he had no idea how much they were worth and it seemed crazy to him haha
They are fundamentally different for the reason you implied: botting post-release cannot be detected. Backdooring can be detected. Now, the question becomes, what happens when something is backdoored? If nothing – that’s an issue. If it’s cancelled – good.
Imagine a world where the entire stock was backdoored, none of the orders were cancelled, and as soon as release went live, it was already sold out.
I am not saying this is happening. In fact, it is not happening. However, that’s not to say a product hasn’t been backdoored once or twice.
Just some food for thought and playing devil’s advocate (I don’t think CLYW releases have much of an issue).
The Peak is objectively not a “good” throw in terms of performance when compared to modern options. It was 20 years ago for sure one of the best options available, but even 5 years after its initial release there were much better options if performance is what you’re after.
But yeah… no one is buying a Peak because it’s “good” lol
I’ve met so many people who didn’t grow up with the Peak like I did, who started throwing in the past 5 or even 10 years and absolutely did not jive with it at all, and even thought it was “bad”
The appeal is… the history as @Tempura mentioned, it’s the nostalgia, it’s the organic comfort/shape, it’s the perfect snapshot of what an ideal yoyo was 20 years ago.
I see what you are saying. But from certain perspectives, it would be no different, i.e. they missed out on the drop.
My point is that if backdoors are common knowledge, the field is level. (If there is some kind of embargo agreement, it would be a problem for the retailer.)
I enjoy throws with history and stories behind, I have multiple with that fall under that but they are more of special editions of classic throws. Most iconic that is a stand alone is the yyf g5 on how it started a trend we still see today.
Biggest issue to me is the latency between the cart and payment processor. I had the recent pale mixed berry summit in my cart and was already logged into paypal prior to purchasing to try and help speed up the process. I was definitely one of the first people to get one in the cart because I was watching the page like a hawk, the pay page was actively cycling to pay and it dumped me out with an error saying it was unable to complete the payment due to stock depletion, while it was processing the payment.
There’s some kind of buffer in the payment process. I’m fully blaming paypal for being slow as molasses because the OD site was responsive and everything was fine until the payment auth.
This has been my experience with Monkey Finger drops, Clyw’s and OD’s drops of the Peak and Summits. Just seems like paypal being the hiccup because there’s stock when I hit pay.
No. Bots aren’t ruining drops. I think there’s a lot of luck with these things. Your network speed, how busy your ISP is, how fast the name servers you hit react, how fast your computer is. All of these things, and others, factor in. If you were able to buy recent releases you probably just happened to be in the right circumstances.
Some could have some kind of bot that is setup to look for that buy button and hammer it as soon as it shows up. That still requires it to refresh the page constantly, with you hoping that it loads the button before it loads for other people. Might still be a bit faster than a human, but you’re still racing against everyone.
I’ll try it next time. I’ve used it before and have had the same issue or it’ll default to paypal sometimes. I’ve tried shop pay and it’s yielded similar results but those could have been just the luck of the draw, haha! I’m certainly not complaining, just observations I’ve noticed. Next time they do a drop I’ll default to the shop pay and see what happens.
Nobody is botting these drops just to resell. Even if somebody did do that, they’d be in the extreme minority based on just how many Summit 2s have sold compared to how many are being resold.
Drop culture is lame but it’s not like they’re going to stop making these. Excessive consumerism isn’t healthy, and if you feel like drops are leading to a decline in quality of your own mental state, it’s probably time to step away from drops and enjoy the yoyos you have.
Welcome to Shopify, where if you use a payment option other than ours, then we will screw you over on purpose by not reserving your items during the payment step.
I mean I don’t disagree with the principle of what you’re saying… but at the same time, that’s really the only barrier to entry and it’s pretty damn low tbh lol, it’s extremely easy to set up and it’s accessible to anyone wanting to do it, so I can’t complain too much