Appreciate..

I notice that many of you younger kids here are all big on learning the newest concepts, such persons trick, the next best thing etc. But while this is fine, I want to tell you about something that has happened in my yoyo life.

Back in 05 to 07, I was just like many of you, really big on what was the newest stuff coming out. I wanted to have the same stuff Yuuki and Paul were busting out, all that crazy stuff. But all the while, I had the one friend who was really into concepts and tricks of the past, allot of the 2001 type concepts and elements. And he would often show me his stuff and while I knew it took skill, I didnā€™t pay much attention cause I was too focused on trying to get speed, and tech, and modern elements, rather than his slower older tricks and whatnot.

This friend disappeared after 07, and I never saw of or spoke to him for years. (Just found him again end of 2010, he quit yoyoingā€¦)

Fastforward to 2008, Another friend I gain. During this time, I was big on 5A, and I wanted to do all the big flashy 5A that the people winning contest were doing, but this friend of mine was big on the super tech 5A of the yesteryear. Something that I found cool, but not something I wanted to try as I found it to concentrated.
This friend also had some super tech and awesome 1A, but again, myself wanting to learn the big flashy competition tricks that were modern got the better of me, and I ended up ignoring my friends stuff despite it being very cool, I just wasnā€™t interested in trying it out.

This friend disappeared in 2009 and to this day, I donā€™t know whats going on with him.

When I look back at these 2 good friends, I had such an opportunity, to learn the classic concepts, to try the tech stuff that I find myself trying to do today, but being that kid who just wanted to do what was fresh and new all the time, I missed the chance. When I look at the 1A I wanted to do back then, I needed that grasp of the classic concepts and flow to take a step toward what I wanted. I needed that understanding of the tech 5A to get to where I wanted to be.

I needed all of that, and I let it escape me, and now those friends with the yoyoing I took for granted have either quit, or gone missing.

So I am here to tell you, While trying to learn the new tricks and concepts is great, donā€™t take those who surround you with the older stuff for granted, learn off of them, take in everything, the classic players still doing their stuff from years ago are probably the most valuable friends in yoyoing you can have, cause they are becoming a rare breed. I would do anything to go back and tak to both of my friends and ask ā€œcan you show me that mount?ā€ or " What was that you did there?"

Donā€™t let the same happen to you,

J

4 Likes

I love you Josh. So nicely put. This was great

Moral of the story. Donā€™t have friends

2 Likes

So very true. To me it seems like no matter how different modern yoyoing and the styles of yesteryear seem. The old tricks have deep seeded roots in todayā€™s tricks. So, remember kids, learn it all.

honestly, i didnt even know that yoyoing was so evolved when i was starting.i started out
with a red yoyo that i got at a pharmacy.it was one that automaticaly came back up.
my dad taught me how to throw it down and bring it back up.then my grandma baught me a
book that taught me the classics like rock the baby,walk the dog,around the world,and
some other ones.i was making slow progress but i was having fun and i enjoyed it.
as my collection of cheap yoyos grew, the more tricks i learned,but i could never learn the
trapeze wich is the root of all string tricks.i took a break from yoyos for a while,because
i was spending my time on the computer obsessing over stick person videos(donā€™t ask).
it really effected my social life and my personality,but one day i found my plastic box of yoyos
and got back in to yoyoing.it took me a lot of practice,but i learned the trapeze.
i then looked up yoyoing on the internet and i was amazed at all these new tricks.
then i found yoyoexpert,baught a dark magic,and started learning tricks,and now
i make my own.

Thanks, Josh. Thereā€™s a lot to be said for getting the basics down. They tend to be the foundations for a lot of the new stuff. Learn the basics and it all flows together.

Amen on this post. Last year when I got seriously back into it, I wanted to learn all of these new tricksā€¦but found that I couldnā€™t breakaway cleanly or trapeze so I found myself at a roadblock. So it was ā€˜back to the basicsā€™ with these building block tricksā€¦now, Iā€™m finding I can combo different stuff from the simple stuff for something cool.

It really does make life simpler. lol
In all seriousness, its worth pointing out that this applies to a lot of things. Donā€™t take for granted the resources you have, and donā€™t turn a blind eye to things just becuase they arenā€™t[shadow=red,left]fresh[/shadow]

Well, itā€™s one of those things where we canā€™t move forward if we donā€™t learn from the past.

Yoyoā€™s are NOTHING like I remember them from my childhood. I received a Duncan Imperial and could never get any results of any sort(gravity pull? Not even!). I was aware of butteryfly shapes and imperial shapes, that was it. Then fast forward to high school when I was a senior, a freshman had a yoyo that had a mechanism in it that did something. I forget what he said, but I think it was a clutch system. Either way, he could do some tricks, it was entertaining and he looked like he was having a good time at it as well.

Fast forward to May 2011 and for some strange reason, I decide ā€œyou know, I really want to be able to yoyoā€. And watching YouTube and stuff here, I was like ā€œWTF?ā€ These yoyos make a WIZZ sound they are spinning so fast. They spin FOREVER. The tricks are insanely complicated.

But, if we canā€™t get good with the old stuff, how can we really improve with the new stuff? We have to understand where it WAS to understand why it is where it is NOW, and itā€™s necessary to see where it WILL BE. Fundamentals.

Me personally, I have always been entertained by yoyo tricks. I just think itā€™s fascinating. Some of those people make it look so effortless despite the complexity. Iā€™m still amazed they donā€™t turn that string into a useless pile of knots!

In my world of live sound, I choose to work on analog consoles. Why? Well, a wide variety of reasons, but also when youā€™re small time like me(I can handle events up to 2500 people with my PA, but put me on a bigger rig and Iā€™m fine, anywhere up to 100,000+ screaming fans Iā€™m cool with), you canā€™t afford to learn the newer digital desks. But when I started out, I was shown the fundamentals, signal flow and the essential skills. I am able to easily move from recording studio to live and other situations effortlessly, even with gear Iā€™m not familiar with, as long as itā€™s analog. Digital, well, I hate to say it, Iā€™m not totally sold on. I know I have to get a digital desk to stay competitive, but I like how my analog board responds and behaves and I know it wonā€™t ever crash!

That aside, each digital desk maker brings their own concept and philosophy as to how things should get done. Learning one vendor WILL NOT make you versed on any other brands. But the bottom line is that if you donā€™t understand your signal flow, youā€™re already boned.

Even though I have a world class desk now, I have no reservations about dropping back to my ā€œrootsā€ and flipping out some of my smaller and less capable mixers to get the job done. Yes, I like to keep it real!

A few weeks ago, my neighbors do this prayer event and they use ethnic instruments Iā€™m not familiar with. I provided them with free sound services just so I could have the opportunity to learn how to deal with those types of instruments. Iā€™ve been doing this almost 30 years and I still never pass up an opportunity to learn something new.

While I self-train with the yoyo here through the learning area, I hope to improve at my own pace. Like, today, I finally got ā€œAround the worldā€ after working on it for 3 days. It finally clicked with me what I was doing wrong. I wasnā€™t rotating it fast enough and starting the rotation at the wrong time. I got the timing right, then the speed. Now Iā€™m practicing it 5 minutes an hour every hour just to burn it my brain what to do, and when I practice tomorrow, it will be one of the things I start off with. It is my eventual hope to provide sound at some regional yoyo events to give them a more ā€œworld class soundā€ look, feel and sound quality to them, enhancing the contest from ā€œside show attractionā€ to ā€œhey, check this outā€ type of stuff. I also hope to get to the point where I can intelligently be able to comprehend the advice given to me by others through sharing knowledge of the yoyo, and in turn be able to pass onto others what I manage to learn.

Who knows, maybe there will be a new category of play. Maybe 6A will be ā€œOld Skoolā€, were you canā€™t use anything other than a fixed axle wedge for string tricks.

For me, Iā€™m never planning to compete. This is something I want to do for fun, even if I get good at it, Iā€™ll never get competion good, but thatā€™s fine. As long as Iā€™m having fun with it, itā€™s good. If I can find other people who enjoy doing this as well, even better. I have no issue with some ā€œold timerā€ or some ā€œyoung kidā€ who is probably way better than I am. I am yoyoing for me.

Having said that, I like how the videos here are organized. There is a logical progression to whatā€™s being presented and why itā€™s being presented in that order. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m actually going step by step as itā€™s being presented here. Iā€™m impressed with my progress. Almost a month of practice(30 minutes a day if Iā€™m lucky) and Iā€™m getting close to being done with the beginner section. I may also be asked to do a fast presentation on the history of yoyoā€™s with a few basic tricks for a pre-school for National Yoyo Day(June 6th) just to show ā€œIf you practice, you can do itā€. Granted, most wonā€™t care, but at least theyā€™ll be exposed to it. They can decide yes or not from there.

Oh, and as part of my promotional materials, Iā€™m having something like 250 custom printed basic yoyos being made up. I just hope they are looped and not tied to the axle. Iā€™m ordering a sample next week.

That look soo long i didnt even read it all.

If you canā€™t draw with a pencilā€¦ then you canā€™t paint an abstract master pieceā€¦

1 Like

AAAHHH!

Why do I keep doing that? I didnā€™t mean to thank youā€¦ But anyways,

Yes. Yes you can.

no you canā€™tā€¦I can see right through that talent -less crapā€¦

Or as I always say - a good Rock the Baby looks much better than a bad Cold Fusion (and Cold Fusion is another great classic ā€˜builderā€™ trick).

1 Like

words of wisdom