anyone else notice this or is it just me?

have any of ya’lls notice that in different parts of the world yoyo “trends” appear like in Asia more angular low walled yoyos are more common than round organic shapes? while people in the USA seem to have more rounder shaped yoyos and less angular. Anyone else realize this? discuss.

Could just come down to the design philosophy of the regions. Most Japanese yoyos are designed for straight up competition rather than ‘for fun’ (a term I loathe to use) like a lot of the major American/Canadian companies (CLYW comes to mind).

Yuki

The word fun is such a weird term when it comes to yoyos

Asians seems to have very precise hand-eye coordination. Some examples are: Hiroyuki Suzuki, Michael Nakamura. V shapes are very angular, the fastest, but the least stable of all three shapes of butterfly yoyos.

Sounds pretty spot on.

I mean, imagine Jensen playing like Michael Nakamura, and vice versa. There are obviously differences in players’ play style depending on where they live in the world.

“Asians seem to have very precise hand eye coordination”. <>?

I hate to be the provider of factual information. But there are individuals from all Ethnic origins, that have very precise hand eye coordination.

Insinuating some form of ethnic based skill exclusivity, is groundless and refutable.

It is more realistic and plausible to suggest that certain individuals(like Mickey for example); have spent HOURS a day,… Every day for years, practicing and refining their precision movements.

Natural potential, determination and initiative; bolster an individuals playing prowess.

4 Likes

Agreed. But in all fairness, you are now insinuating that certain ethnic groups are more determined than others. Not to say that isn’t true, but just trying to point out that no matter how you put it, it’s going to sound a little bit…you know. However, I do think, personally, that we as Americans are more tied up in the experience of it all rather than the focus it takes to really accel to the level of Suzuki or Matsuura. We like to kinda hang out and throw rather than put in a 4 hour speed practice session, therefore making our style a lot more laid back and less rapid and complicated.

I could be wrong, and probably am, but I just wanted to get involved and put my two cents in! Great topic!

Incorrect… I am insinuating that certain individuals are/may be, more determined than others. Regardless of ethnicity.

Mickey is a perfect example. He spent years getting good. His amazing skills weren’t predetermined by his ethnicity.

You don’t watch Mickey ‘shred’ and then say, ‘well, of course he is good. Asians have precise hand eye coordination’.

If you want to misinterpret what I said, then that is your choice.

1 Like

People who say Asians have great hand eye coordination have never met me lmao

1 Like

While it is easy to pounce on generalizations with the old “…well not eveyone is like that” routine, the reality is that different ethnic groups do tend to mature faster than others in physical and mental coordination terms.

Asians, in particular, tend to physically mature at an earlier age than than other ethnic groups like Cuacasians. I see this constantly in soccer where inexperienced coaches seize upon a 13 year-old all-star Asian kid and proclaim him as the next coming of Pele. By age 18, however, that kid is the same height they were at 13, but weigh 20% more. Meanwhile the caucasian kids that were getting left in the dust at age 13, are 6’2 and 225lbs and just running away from their peers.

This is not racism, it is reality.

The yo-yo’s of Japanese companies reflect the intense reality of yoyo play in Japan. It is much faster and far more technically precise than the “laid-back” style of others. To my eyes, “laid-back” just means: “can’t go fast”. Japanese yoyo design reflects that reality.

1 Like

Lol

It has a lot to do with values of each culture. In Asian countries, they don’t really see a point in something that isn’t meant to play really well. The asian culture suggests efficiency and getting the best performing yoyos. These companies like C3, YoyoMonster, Yoyorecreation… all strive to produce yoyos that perform the best. These yoyos appeal to the people. It is the culture.

Nope lol. I reached puberty way later than everyone else in my grade.

I dont think anyone in meaning to be rasict or profile here. I have noticed alot of asians are very serious about yoyoing, but they are serious about everything, and does that mean that I havent seen an asian person that yoyos just for fun? Ofc I have seen asian people yoyo just for fun and goof around and stuff.

So not meaning to steriotype or anything, but just remember that steriotypes became that way for a reason, sometimes its over generalization, but there is always a bit of truth in everything ;).

1 Like

I thought I was the only one who was thinking this!!

says the 16 year old that is in the 800 lb club

Mmm I don’t know about that

I doubt it very much. Anyone else can have it just as much. the styles are just different.

15 lol

Actually wide V shaped yoyo with low walls are the most efficient when it comes to “stability”. I mean yes, the wider the yoyo is, the less likely it will stabilize itself (like spinning a top versus spinning a pencil) because instead of spinning in proper direction, it tries to spin sideways because of the weight distribution. But when designed properly just below this “self-stability limit”, and then add low walls, it’s the most efficient and stable design (in the sense of more difficult to tilt), hence it can handle higher speed without the player thinking too much about tilt control.
The downside of this design is it’s harder to do smooth regens and more likely to wobble when thrown by inexperienced players, also it’s more likely to have pulsing vibe with imperfect manufacturing process.

tl:dr V shaped yoyos with low walls are stable in the sense of less wanting to tilt, while unstable in the sense of stabilizing itself.