Anyone else do the NYT crossword?

I do it daily. I’d love to discuss the daily puzzles if anyone else is a solver.

4 Likes

the only puzzles i like are speed cubes

4 Likes

I don’t do them, but when I do happen to see that crossword grid, I always wish to myself that I had the mental calm to sit down and grind…but alas, I always grab da-yo’

5 Likes

I always do the minis. Maybe one day once I’m good enough I’ll move to the main daily puzzle.

1 Like

They really get easier the more you do them. Start with the Monday’s and move your way up. They get progressively harder as the week goes on.

I used to do the local crossword daily when I was GM at a restaurant years ago. Never since though :thinking:

1 Like

I was doing them for a while when I was train commuting but haven’t had time recently.

I can do Monday, Tuesday, and some Wednesday’s.

3 Likes

@vegabomb I just restarted my subscription. Ran through Monday/Tuesday from this week pretty quick but am not doing great with Thursday so far.

3 Likes

Yea Monday and tuesday are way more doable early on. Thursday’s are arguably the toughest of the week. They almost always have some weird twist like a rebus.

2 Likes

Figuring out there was a rebus was a major help in today’s.

1 Like

Yea there’s really no solving it without that. Were you able to finish it?

Yeah, wound up finishing it.

1 Like

Finished today in 10:08. A hair under my average for a Monday.

3 Likes

I was 14:17

9:57 on the Tuesday

3 Likes

I used to do them regularly on Sunday’s, would get the Sunday paper. But now with a 1 year old I just buy the books.

Currently going through this one

2 Likes

Nice. You smokes my Tuesday time. 13:58. I filled in everything in the SE using just the across clues. Had ETHos instead of ETHIC. Took me a couple minutes to find the error. Also, I feel like with the tense of the clue at 69A it needs to be ethic”s”, not ethic.

1 Like

I watched Jeopardy while I solved Wednesday so time is a little slower due to that. Still a pretty tough Wednesday, 29:07.

1 Like

I’m too dumb for crosswords…

Crossword’s all like:

Across

1. The number that comes after three

And I’m all like:
Ummm. Let me google that!

3 Likes

No googling! :slight_smile:

I only count a time if I finish without the google. Occasionally on a later in the week puzzle I’ll throw in the towel and look something up. But I count that puzzle as a DNF.

4 Likes

Where do you complete the puzzle? On paper or electronically?

2 Likes