Anybody mountain bike?

I’ve been riding bikes forever. I’m a street rider, but I ride a Palomar mountain bike. The current one I ride most often I bought in 1998. When I want to go off the beaten mostly level, pot holed filled with cagers (car drivers) streets: I head out to these locations in Los Angeles. Baxter – Fargo – Duane – Eldridge --and 28th st In San Pedro(South LA County). These are streets that hold a minimum 32 degree gradient. Ride up them, I don’t think so. You can see me getting 15 up. Dismounting and hoofing with my bike to the top. Thought riding down is quite an adventure allowing for no mistakes…All I can ad to this is Ride On Brother

1 Like

My 1998 Palomar GT
With Dog Trailer…
Without Dog Tailer

2 Likes

Can I mountain bike indoors?

The sun hurts my pale flesh.

Maybe I should invent a bike you can ride while sitting on the couch with a bag of potato chips.

1 Like

Kinda sorta! I have a setup kind of like this for winter or bad weather days.

Also, recumbent bikes are sort of like pedaling around a La-Z-Boy

2 Likes

Love me some MTB.

I’ve also been doing a lot of pumptrack over the past year. Good times.

5 Likes

Just went on my first downhill jump line the other day, didn’t really know how to jump but I’m going back this weekend to try again, but boy are downhill trails fun.

2 Likes

I only mountain bike down hill with lasers. I thought more people did this.

1 Like

:eyes:

Evil following v1

7 Likes

YES! First of all, love all the pics of the Evil’s. I have a new Yeti SB130 LR, and my riding bud has an Evil. Both solid choices.

Enjoy everybody!

2 Likes

Also, if money is no option - suggest a Yeti Arc (hardtail), Yeti SB130/140/150 (if you can find them - good luck), a YT Jeffsy, Ibis Ripmo, or Evil Calling/Following/Offering.

If no success with any of the above, a Trek Fuel or Slash will get you going!

Rocky Mountain Blizzard for Winter, Specialized Camber for Summer! Love both of 'em.

Ivan

7 Likes

Update on the following…

Was going out for a ride and before we left, i flipped the climb switch and oil started spewing out of the shock lever… so we had to buy a new monarch and its back to working great :face_exhaling:

Also have a dirt jumper, pretty fun to ride at our local little jump park.

2 Likes

Every chance I get here in the middle of Arizona

6 Likes

Just Built the Karate Monkey

8 Likes

I want to build a Karate Monkey into a gravel bike! But every time I try to buy a KM frame I just can’t justify it because the old parts-bin bar bike I have now still works fine. And no matter how many times I leave it parked in sketchy locations, thieves refuse to steal it.

Ivan

1 Like

I love mountain biking - prefer aggressive XC style trails and the occasional blue lines at a bike park.

5 Likes

Buffalo Creek outside Denver was great as was Klondike Cliffs in Moab with the dinosaur tracks etc. Poison Spider was big back then. Moab slick rock was fun but teeth jarring on a hard tail. Climbing all over the US we got a couple Mtn. bikes for when it was raining and too hot. Great mix. Climbing is still better though… :crazy_face:

My main question is, do I need a full-suspension bike or do I need a hard-tail mountain bike? My budget is 1500, which forces me to go for a hardtail bike. However, used full-suspension bikes are also a good bet here. Having so many of these options is making my decision-making process much more troubling, especially not knowing the capacity of hard-tail - trail bikes.

I did mountain biking on mostly blue lines. My experience was, it is extremely rocky and I have to walk up the trails a few times. Never did a jump, because I was worried the bike might break and I might crash. I often had knee pain after riding. weigh 150 lbs. I am looking to upgrade now, however at the same time be wary about how it will affect my knees.

1 Like

It will take proper fit of the bike to your body to minimize the harm to your knees. I strongly suggest talking with your local bike shop and other mountain bikers in your area and see what others are using.

1 Like

I bought my full-suspension Specialized Camber for about 1500 because it was last year’s model, that was a few years back (2017) but if you look around and have patience I don’t think a budget of 1500 prevents you from scoring a nice full-susser if you want one.

Ivan