Any thoughts and/or feedback about the Hydrangea Lycoris?

I have no experience or knowledge other than reading the product description from another store.

I understand the Brand has ‘metered out’ small runs of various yo-yos that mostly seem to vanish as soon as they appear.

I recently got a Aquilegia in a trade. It is a very nice Ti yo-yo. It is ‘not’ identical, but is very similar in looks and play as the Ti Wisteria.

Obviously, the favorable feelings I have for the Aquilegia, increased my curiosity about the brand.

The Lycoris retails for $600. It certainly does not have any sort of exotic shape/design features that stand out(to me).

What did stand out was that it isn’t even made from a hard to deal with material, like Titanium.

The specs State the material used is a ‘bronze alloy’(no more specific detail on exact alloy).

So I can only have an opinion more than a conclusion on what I say next>

Bronze is listed as having one of the very best and highest machinability ratings of any metal/alloy…

Since bronze is not as time consuming and machine tools don’t take as much of a beating, logic would dictate that the final costs related to each Lycoris, cannot be tied to difficulty ‘in manufacture’.

So…… here we have a $600 yo-yo that could not possibly be more trouble to make, yet costs even more than their Titanium yo-yos.:nerd_face:

I can’t conclude ‘why’ this yo-yo costs a pretty penny(based on my minimal info), but, I would love to hear form anybody that might say anything positive that might align with their suggested retail pri$e?

Any views are welcome.

6 Likes

The yoyo doesn’t cost 600 USD, that’s an unfortunate markup from a certain specific retailer that has a bad reputation for doing this on their worldwide site. It costs 58,000 JPY which is currently 417 USD. You can buy it for 417 USD in stock right now from other retailers.

Also as a side note, you can order from the Japanese site of the retailer that marked up the price on their worldwide site and pay in yen. Doing that would save you 180 dollars.

It’s slightly cheaper than their titanium.

I think it’s mostly intended to be a fun collectors item to patina and age with the player, while being designed for the material. Instead of having an aluminum yoyo copper plated. Just a fun idea because they can.

Also Lycoris are still in stock. Hydrangea runs usually stay in stock for a long while and are continually produced to meet demand. Aquilegia had trouble staying in stock for the first few drops, but they kept making more and now they’re still in stock too.

6 Likes

I have had it described to me as similar to the GOPA if that moves the needle for you. I don’t have any personal experience with it but I have been eyeing it.

@yoyodoc if you want to borrow mine let me know.

2 Likes

When I first saw this yo-yo; I had the same thought process as yoyodoc. Why is a brass yo-yo so expensive?

If it had been reasonably priced I would have bought one just to see how a fully brass yo-yo feels. But the price being asked is just unreasonable whether $600 or $400.

Did anyone actually buy one?

1 Like

Supposedly “The copper alloy used in Lycoris is 1.3 times stronger than A7075 aluminum, which is known for its high strength”. It could be C61900 Bronze

Write up from their IG

Manufacturer : Hydrangea
Designed in : Japan
Release Year : 2023
Weight : 60.5g
Diameter : 56.0mm
Width : 40.0mm
Body Material : Bronze

Lycoris is a full bronze monometallic yo-yo, which uses an unprecedented copper alloy material of bronze as its yo-yo body. It achieves a transparent golden color, even though it is a raw yo-yo.

In order to enhance the golden coloration, the lines running from the outer face to the inner face are designed with smooth curves without any straight lines.
The weight distribution is designed for daily use, so that the wearer will not get tired even after long periods of use, and the weight is distributed in such a way that the player can feel the weight of the instrument.

The copper alloy used in Lycoris is impressively strong - 1.3 times stronger than A7075 aluminum, a well-known high-strength material.

With use, the yo-yo’s luster gradually changes, providing an enjoyable aging process. Because of its high copper composition, the color will transform based on your grip and style of play, making each Lycoris a unique and personal item. Enjoy growing your own vintage Lycoris.

2 Likes

Why? Alter Ego$
It’s neither cheep nor expensive, only thinking makes it so.
Just Pay More and Play Less.

Sorry; bronze; not brass.

Isn’t bronze pretty strong? I think that was what they made swords and spears with during the “bronze” age. So saying it is stronger than 7075 is not terribly impressive. Bronze may be tough - but is it more expensive to buy and machine?

Bronze appears to be more expensive than 7075 alu, obviously which alloy of bronze would make a difference but I think in general Aluminum is the more commonly produced and easily sourced material.

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/7075-T6-Aluminum/UNS-C61900-Aluminum-Bronze

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/7075-T6-Aluminum/UNS-C95400-Aluminum-Bronze

Bottom bar is Bronze, top is Alu

1 Like

The markup a certain retailer has on some yoyos like this is crazy. I don’t know how they get away with this yoyo being $200 more expensive than other retailers. They have other yoyos marked well above the price of other retailers as well, for example the Aquilegia is $70 more.

3 Likes

Aluminum requires significant power = expense to produce. Bronze is copper and Tin. What is expensive in copper and tin?

The difference in price is likely due to the volume of the metals produced. Aluminum is far more widely used than bronze.

Historically, aluminum was FAR more expensive than gold due to the fact that it rarely exists in metallic form in nature. Using electricity, however, commonly available Bauxite ore can yield aluminium in great quantities.

2 Likes

I can’t comment on the Lycoris, as it is not my preferred style of yoyo and I haven’t tried one. However, I bought an Aquilegia and this yoyo is amazing. The power it gets is insane for a 63g ti, it plays like a bimetal. Would highly recommend it if you want to spend too much money on a yoyo. You do have to throw it hard though.

1 Like

Things are more difficult to produce, hence more costly, when they are not made at the same scale. Significant investment is why its so easy and cheap to produce large quantities of alu.

@sakatuca just did a review

You can use the CC Auto Translate found in the player settings and chose your language if you are not fluent in Japanese. He compares a corroded one against a new one to shows how it patinas. He also shreds through a handful of repeaters and even does a Rancid Milk combo along with all the other classics.

4 Likes

I think his reviews would be more useful if he had something to say.

It seems that he’s kind of shy and doesn’t talk much.

There should be somebody slightly off camera, prodding him with a stick and prompting him to actually say something

Oh, well I’m sure it’s good

The lycoris is a fast slimline throw. If you’ve tried a yoyorecreation gopa it’s kind of like that but kind of hollow. It’s very comfortable and easy to throw but completely different from the other hydrangea stuff. This isn’t a competition orientated throw.

2 Likes

Redirected

2 Likes

Is @yoyojoe looking for an Aria?

1 Like

Kind of holding off on any purchases till I get back from vacation. @Alex

2 Likes