Any Mods for a Northstar??

Hello guys :). I have a northstar stock parts but i was just wondering if there are any mods to it that will make it do better than what it is currently doing. As you can see i have no idea about any mods but i was just wondering if there are any to make it go past the capabilities of it as of now with stock parts! Also if you want to go the extra mile please explain to me what the mod is and how it works etc
etc. I appreciate your help :slight_smile:

Fellow Thrower,
Scar

What’s wrong with the yoyo currently that makes you want to mod it? Just play with the yoyo as it is.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. It’s great as is right from the package.

Well, not exactly. The bearing needs to be broken in, but that’s normal stuff with pretty much any yoyo, so that doesn’t really count.

I think someone recently did some sort of process to texture the rims for grinding. I’d say a Northstar with a grinding-compatible surfaces would be an in-demand yoyo. Even a Protostar with this done to it would be fine.

Other than that change, I can’t really think of any changes I’d like to see from anything changing performance aspects. The only other changes are maybe making the weight rings silver or complimentary/contrasting colors like they do with the PGM. But, even so, I’m cool with the black weight ring in my Blue Northstar. Since I’m not into grinding yet, I won’t miss what I don’t know for the time being.

well to be honest i love this yoyo but i was just interested in anything that you could do with it haha! its like if you have a great recipe and someone tells you maybe u should add some Parmesan cheese and then the whole dish becomes an even better dish :). Just something like that because i love my northstar!!

A mod that I would be interested in would be to spr it. No more stupid yyf spacers that stick to the bearing. That and blast it would be the only things that I can think of that would be useful for a northstar.

Paint
Spray paint
Hubstack mod
What else you want dr jones?

spr it??

i never thought of hubstacking a northstar! is that even possible!?!? that would be so cool haha

Spacer responce system, made by crucial.

You would have to get a the bolt off a PGM and cut the cap on the Northstar but it probably is very possible.

Taka has a stacked protostar, bit he used a lathe to cut the cap off.

says a guy that mods fhz’s and fh2’s. lol

Guess there was something wrong with them.

That’s different. There is something wrong with it. FHZs aren’t really living up to modern yoyo standards. Too responsive out of the box. The Northstar doesn’t need mods to play well.

Well, “something wrong with it/not living up to mondern yoyo standards” is a bit open to debate. Most people buying these probably won’t know any better. Those who do know, yeah, they’re gonna figure it out pretty fast. FHZ’s and FH2’s out of the package kinda suck. I would take your side saying that they need a few tweaks to be better. Or, as in my case, I’m just gonna send them off for mods soon.

True, there’s nothing wrong with them(FHZ and FH2), but I just don’t like them as-is. Thank goodness for those with the skills to do mods, and the willingness to do the mods and charge us reasonable fees for the work.

The Northstar:

I kinda agree, from the standpoint of getting rid of those spacers. But not just for the Northstar, but for many other plastics using spacers. But, other than that, I like the Northstar as-is. I’m really pleased with the Northstar and personally can’t see a need for modification. But hey, that’s just my opinion. Everyone else is welcome to theirs.

I have had a different yoyo modified to take flowable silicone. Fantastic work, definitely a smart mod I choose to take a chance on. Plays even better than factory in my opinion.

I guess any yoyo could be a candidate for modification.

did you miss the “lol”?

Just saying but fh2’s with silicone stickers and a dry bearing rock!

Do you mean this?

So to make it grind better, unless you have the tools to blast it safely, send it to a shop with the bearing seat and response system masked off, and they will probably have a mediablaster.

I didn’t actually. :wink: That wasn’t really a rant.