Any experience with the YYF Alta bi-metal?

I got this in a mystery box along with the Czech Point Pivot and cannot find any relevant information. No YouTube reviews, no threads with any real information, and no current mentions other than the occasional Alta showing up in BST. A lot of people talked like they wanted it when it was announced, but then things got very quiet. I don’t know if it was bad, forgettable, or the victim of something else coming out that was better and/or cheaper.

What I can say is I hate the packaging. Standard flimsy YYF box with no label. The name is not printed anywhere on the box. It took me a while to decipher the logo and figure out the name.

2 Likes

The alta was a signature yoyo that got little promotion by the player associated with it. It was a one and done production. It got beefed on by a Chinese guy who accused us of stealing the design of attaching the rims, a concept he sold to other companies despite not being the first to do it.

The package is designed only to protect the yoyo from superficial damage during shipping. As it was only sold online it was hardly designed to increase the value of the product. How much more would you be interested in paying in for something more elaborate in the future? We are switching to a more simple box with higher recycled content and less ink use but we are always interested in feedback

8 Likes

Interested in how it plays? It plays really well! Super nice weight, not too wide & very stable.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ll give some feedback on the box since it is up for review and possible change.

Yoyo collectors like to keep the box. Thus, the box should be easy to open without tearing. The current little Yoyofactory black and blue boxes are very easy to tear when opening from the top. I’ve seen some reviewers suggest opening them from the bottom. I’d love the have the name of the yoyo, maybe color and year on the box. My cheap replay pro’s come in a box that says “Replay Pro” on the side. Maybe this is because of the number of units that are produced. I’m sure there are a lot more Replay Pro’s produced over the years than the Alta or Czech Point Pivot.

My Recess First Base came in a very cheap, simple white box with a label on it that states the company, yoyo name and color. This is perfectly fine for me. One Drop ups the design a bit with a round hole so you can see the yoyo inside and know the color that way. The One Drop box always has a label with the company and the yoyo name. Just a simple brown box with good information on the outside. This is great. I don’t need anything fancy. No plastic hinged case, no outrageous color printing, nothing huge or heavy. Just something simple and sturdy that will open and close without tearing, and has a label on it with information about the yoyo.

4 Likes

I’m curious. Did he claim he was the inventor of ‘bi-metals’. What do you mean by attaching the rims?

As far as boxes go, most yoyos I’ve purchased new have come in a generic company labeled box with the company’s name YYF, YYJ, Anti-Yo, HSPIN, SPYY, BC, TK. I don’t recall any of them having the yoyo name on them. It’s just a box.

Is that accusation part of the reason we haven’t seen a new bi-metal Edge or a restock of the Beyond?

The Alta is great. One of the first yo-yos to really push the concept of extended steel rims.

no. Edge Beyond will restock around Easter.

1 Like

I got the Alta in the mystery mystery box, and I really enjoy it. Stable, a little floaty, and good for tech and speed. I had no idea it was surrounded by such controversy!

It was a good mystery box.