Any bass fishermen

I just started bass fishing. Any tips you can give me? This is also a general fishing thread.

1 Like

What type of bass are you fishing? Small mouth, stripper, black bass… what waters are you fishing?

We’re not happy until you’re not happy! *<B{Q>

Yep all that will help. Each type of bass is a little different. The area you’re fishing (pond, lake, river, etc) will be slightly different.

I’ve been going to Northern Ontario for almost 30 years now, the majority of those years I went mulitiple times. Bass, Walleye and Northern fishing. 4 years ago I started fly fishing, hoping to go bass fishing this year using my fly rod :slight_smile:

Generally look for rocky bottoms, tree logs, shorelines that have trees blown over and in the water. Bass will use these areas as cover. Spinner baits, smaller top water jerk baits and rapala’s are all favorites of mine. At least for Smallmouth and Largemouth.

Baby brush hog is what I catch 90% of my bass on. The other 10% is on a blue rattle trap. But seriously baby brush hogs are awesome.

Oh yeah and that’s for large mouth and small mouth.

Also does this feel like a slightly weird thing to talk about on a yoyo forum to anybody else? :joy:

I mean not that we shouldn’t talk about it here it’s just sorta ironic. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Did you happen to notice the Modify button on the upper RHS of each post. It lets you add stuff to your original post? it’s just sorta ironic… :wink:

Aight den. Sorry

Edit: testing edit. Lol.

I’m for any bass really. I live in central Cali near San Fran

This is a super great lure (at least for the body of water I fish). There are a lot of great lures and a lot of bad ones. But this is great.



Trout guy here. Although I do want to get a bass on my fly rod sometime. Never really tried.


Do it!

1 Like

Bass on a popper fly is a good time!


Sure is, game changers are killer too. Haven’t had the chance to get out yet this year.

Last year I showed up to a local bass pond and I heard some of the guys as I was walking down say “what’s he planning on catching with that? There’s no trout here.” :joy: About 10 minutes later I had my first bass. Then I heard “woah! He caught something.” Few minutes later had another, and repeat. They were all sitting there not catching a thing :rofl:


And the great thing is is you can’t catch a bass you can slay the bream with trout dry flies.

1 Like

I don’t do much stillwater anymore, but when I have I have landed crappie, rock bass, bluegill, and even catfish on various wet and dry flies. No bass yet but I do have some poppers to try. Thanks for the encouragement!

Got plenty of bass back when I did pond fishing with a standard rod and reel using lures that I don’t remember the names of.


Streamers can work well for bass as well.


My dad burned me out on fishing by the time I was 12. Every vacation and every other weekend. Now at 60 I’ve been buying equipment and starting back. No fishing tips, but I can tell you that my favorite reel by far is the Zebco Bullet. Built well, easy to use, and good value even for a $100 reel. Very good for a starter because the enclosed spincast design is reliable and gets less tangles.

1 Like

This lure called the “whopper plopper” has been extremely successful for me and really has some unique action that seems to really get largemouth curious and going after it.
I actually caught smaller largemouth on the bigger version of these which is crazy cause the little guys aren’t much bigger than the lure itself haha.