all trading card packs the same cards

so, the other day when the package came containing my lovely xcube Zeus, i noticed all three trading card packs had the exact same 3 cards in them. i don’t really care, but just thought i should post this.

It happens. They are completely randomly sorted before being sealed, so there’s no telling what went in where.

I got a pack with 2 of the same card. I think the last 2 packs of cards were also all repeats of what I already have in my “keeper” stack. I’ve got more “repeats” than keepers. That’s why I suggested an option to be able to buy the complete set as a purchase item.

I agree…I have a lot of doubles too. But, I guess from the site perspective, you are less likely to buy again and again if you can get the whole set at once. They want to give you another reason to keep coming back. I have to admit that I bought from this site a lot looking to get more cards to complete the set. I guess the solution is to offer the complete set, but make it expensive, and limited, so you have to really want it and the site will still make enough money off them in the end.

I don’t know what the official YYE opinion is regarding the trading cards being a motivating factor for driving purchases. I’ve got an upcoming purchase planned. The trading cards are a perk for me, but not a factor in determining my purchases.

If they were to sell the cards as a complete collector’s set, they are only making under 40 different cards. That’s not even $5 worth of cars at full retail but $5 is a decent enough price tag to put on it where people won’t think twice about buying it if they want it.

I suppose I can just use the cards as deal sweeteners in trades.

Hmmm…I’d pay $25 tops for the whole set, it’s expensive, but I’d pay it. I’ve paid more for the boxing cards I collect. It’s just a shame to have half of them, and some of the ones I don’t have are really good ones. I posted a thread in trades, but I want all the missing ones, not just some of them. I’d pay someone for a full set.

That’s why they are trading cards. Your supposed to trade them.

You can get a set of over 400 football or baseball cards for like $65. I have to use that as a reference number. Price the YYE cards at $5 for a set and it will fly off the shelf.

I agree. I’d definitely buy them. I usually collect boxing card sets which cost more…compared to the number of cards in the set, which are fewer than football. It must cost a lot to ask for yoyoer photos and have the graphics and everything done with permission from the companies too. They make a good effort, that’s for sure. I’d support it at almost any price.

Most sports card manufacturers do much, much bigger runs, though. And as you know, smaller runs of things cost more. I have no idea how much the cards cost Andre to produce - but it’s incredibly likely that he pays quite a bit more per card than Topps.

True. Tops and Donruss (among others) make these cards in very large quantities. But even so, a pack of 40-50 cards isn’t worth more “retail” than $3.50 at MOST. Even so, the $5 is a good breaking point. You have to look at “market price” versus “production costs”. I’m sure Andre has a sizable number of cards made. Considering they are for promotional purposes, it’s a loss-leader item.

Yes, but you have to consider variables within each market too, rather than “the market” in general. The pricing structure of things in the yoyo world very often doesn’t correlate with the cost of things in other markets, or with the cost of materials - and it often oughtn’t, given the quantities. What constitutes what people consider a fair price, or value, is very often about other things. But the same is the case with sports cards too, some of which, retail, have gone for much, much more than $3.50 per 40-50 cards. All I’m getting at is that it’s not necessarily the case that the value of X thing can be taken as a determinant of the value of Y thing, however comparable. Value is one of the trickiest words in the English language - in part because it often appears a straightforward a thing, when the reality is that it’s a very slippery, malleable, and ethereal thing.

That’s quite true. I mean, let’s translate that to what we are able to relate to better: yoyo prices.

Two different yoyos with identical weights of same alloy aluminum have the same melt values, but their retail value might be very different.