Alebrije tuning tips?

Hi yoyo folks.

I recently got this here amazing Alebrije and I love it but am curious if anyone has tips for tuning it or reduce vibe any. Or more specifically it feels like the O rings could use a changing any source for those kind of parts. It’s nothing bad but there is a bit of vibe and I’m curious if that’s just expected due to the wood and Merida of parts or if there is something I can do to reduce it a tad.

I also emailed ZGRT but it’s been a few days and honestly it’s not there problem at this point so I figured I would crowd source the community see if this has been hashed out before.

1 Like

Several options.

Make sure the inner bearing seat plate is flush with the wood.

The wood is sandwiched between the inner bearing seat plate and the outer Albrije Plate. Meaning when the halves are loose, you can rotate the wood before snugging it down.

There will always be some slight vibe on the end of the string due to the difference in the natural wood halves. But significant vibe can be tuned out.

For example: On mine, the Grain is 90 degrees misaligned. One grain runs left to right, while the other half runs up and down.

Which way are you setting it up? Small Bearing? Large Bearing? Fixed? Responsive? Unresponsive.

3 Likes

It came to me fixed and that seems to be my preference. I haven’t tried anything unresponsive in it yet and the responsive small bearing feels close enough to my el mijo setup with a d responsive that im leaning away from that as there is more vibe on the Alebrije.

I think I left it in the c bearing responsive at the moment with intentions to toss a center track in at some point for the heck of it but haven’t got that far.

The c large bearing responsive seems the most interesting setup so far besides fixed however I definitely notice the vibe this way so I figured this is the time to ask and see what folks think.

I’ll have to tinker a bit and see if I can reduce the vibe following your advice of making sure the inner plates are flush. I’m pretty sure I was more focused on keeping the outer parts aligned to keep it straight previously.

My opinion- The outside plates are the least important part of the system. You can snug these down pretty good too.

2 Likes

Sounds like I have some tinkering to do while in some corporate mandated manager training tomorrow. Thank you for the advice @Pun1sh3R

Your Welcome Sir.

1 Like

Most decent hardware stores have a decent selection of o-rings. Places like Home Depot, Lowes and Menards are NOT hardware stores… :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

I just received an Alebrije. Haven’t done much with it, but realized pretty fast that it does need to be snugged down more than I (inexperienced as I am) thought.

2 Likes

@Captrogers–Yes, as @archiesdad and @Pun1sh3R significant vibe can be tuned out in different options. Happy to assist you. I just sent you a note.

1 Like

I sent an email and I’ll chat with ZGRT there but for those interested I took pictures of the bits and bobs of the Alebrije I’ll toss here for reference.

1 Like

I play mine with the Small Bearing, responsive. It gets swapped to the bearing blank in February.

I love the versatility of this system. While it can be a bit finicky initially, the tuning doesnt take too long to get a acceptable play.

The Nuances of the natural materials with the precision machined system makes it fun for me. I like the minor vibe at the end of the string.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Yeah I would love the swappable system in a polycarb body or AL body at some point. TI would be neat too but the price point would be hard to stomach…

1 Like

After chatting with the ZGRT folks specifically Jorge. I am really happy with the support. These guys always go above and beyond every time I talk to them to make sure I have an answer to any question or am just plain satisfied. Tuning the yoyo and will report status later but also really looking forward to my ti Janus when that comes along in a few weeks or so. Love the stuff these folks do.

3 Likes