Adobe CC Software

Learning a new bit of software is like learning stick when you’ve been driving an auto for a decade. You can set up shortcuts but it’ll never be as natural.

1 Like

Oh for sure. I know how it is I used to be a heavy user of Photoshop and Illustrator and made the switch. It takes time but once you dive in eventually it’ll turn into second nature and you’ll never think twice about it. Breaking the muscle memory of other apps is definitely hard to do. But! Just think, when you first tried Photoshop or whatever other app for the first time, you had to learn it with zero experience.

You can go to Apple store and use it there if you want to check it out also fedex kinks use to let you use a computer with the programs and some colleges have computer labs with it installed for you to use…u don’t have to buy it anymore it a monthly subscription

As a semi professional photographer, I use Lightroom and Photoshop nearly every day. Lightroom is fairly user friendly. On the other hand, Photoshop is extremely dense. It took me a long time before I felt comfortable with that program. You can do almost anything involving RAW processing and most of your photo editing in Lightroom. Photoshop is where you can get super creative. Both are very rewarding programs to learn in my opinion.

2 Likes

Well, just from a quick exploration of Affinity Designer, I am having trouble finding most of the things I find on Illustrator’s Object menu and Effect menu.

effectmenu

In affinity the effects panels are located under the layers tab. You can get there by the top nav bar or in the sidebar. Affinity applies the effects into a new non-destructive layer for each effect that you apply. You can also select the object and right click and then go down to layer effects to bring up a photoshop-esque effects panel.

All of these methods work for the vector and raster/pixel personas and can be switched on the fly based off of the effect.

The effects I need most are the ones that alter vectors, especially those in the Distort & Transform and Path submenus. I don’t see any equivalents to those in Designer.

I primarily used Adobe for the video producing capabilities before ending the subscription after deciding it was too costly. I simply can’t live without that dynamic link of AE and PR.