Accusation of Cheating in OWYYC

Video here: Five A Fan on Instagram: "I just found out that Quoc Anh was disqualified from the Online World YoYo Contest 2022 for supposedly speeding up his footage. Here are his prelim and finals submissions. Thoughts?"
Quoc Anh was disqualified from OWYYC. He was accused of speeding up his freestyle, but was not given a chance to defend himself by playing in front of a clock, a judge or something along those lines. Somehow, he has only been disqualified but not banned, and a temporary ban seems like the appropriate punishment for cheating. Does that mean they aren’t sure he cheated? This whole situation is sketchy and unfair. Does anyone have any more information about this?

10 Likes

Looks pretty clearly sped up.

8 Likes

This is one of the reason that I don’t think Online contest make sense anymore because we don’t know if a player edit the video or not. May be is change pace between combos or he just sped up at some part by small percentage.

It would be great if judges publish more evidences

6 Likes

Also you can watch his prelim, which is faster than his final and he didn’t get DQ’d. [OWYYC2022] 5A Prelim - Quoc ANH - ONLINE WORLD YOYO CONTEST 2022 - YouTube

5 Likes

I read that he had to do an in-person routine in front of some judges, and was even faster during that? So he passed the in-person check but they chose to have an issue with this? Also supposedly he didn’t get DQ’d, he’s just getting a total score of 0 across the board giving him last place?

It’s a really weird scenario. I can’t say anything else about it beyond that, dude is still fast as heck regardless, but if this is an instance of cheating, I feel like it’s deserving of more than just a DQ (even though this isn’t actually a DQ?)

What I read was coming from the official Sense Yoyo account (formerly yoyopalace).

Like I said, weird scenario. Hoping more information about this comes out on OWYYC’s end explaining their decision.

7 Likes

A couple comments say he’s that fast in real life and even after slowing the video down his movements just don’t look natural. I really don’t know what to think

5 Likes

Some of it looks sped up and some of it doesn’t, almost like trying to blend it in to seem more realistic.

1 Like

So I dont think the video is sped up, however it is missing some frames. The way the frames are missing doesn’t look like its an intentional cut of frames out of the footage, more of a hardware thing that’s happening within the camera’s recording.

There are key places where there are dropped frames, otherwise the speed of the play is consistent throughout.

Go frame by frame and you will see where the inconsistency is, key it and play it back and check the speed, it looks good speed wise.

Keep in mind as you record a video, there are lots of factors, even on a phone. Storage Buffering, Heat, Duration of recording time, etc.

An additional Edit: Keep in mind

So if anything the pre-lim live video should have already settled this debate.

18 Likes

You can tell from the beginning its obvisouly been sped up, its also obvious inbetween binding, catching and rethrowing the yoyo

3 Likes

In the future it would be easy for anyone to prevent accusations by simply having something in the frame that runs at a predictable speed.

An hourglass, a pendulum clock, one of those not-quite-perpetual motion doodads, even a goldfish hanging out in an aquarium would be a decent indicator of whether the video has been tampered with. Some of these things can be tampered with to cheat still, but it would be quite difficult.

Ivan

15 Likes

Can you post a link to the source of your information please?

I saw the prelim video and I believe that his performance is possible. I think he is playing as fast as the 1A goodspeed trick videos. In those goodspeed videos the yoyo is going so fast and changing directions almost instantly that you could think those videos are sped up too, but because so many talented players have demonstrated godspeed tricks, some even in person, no one thinks that these videos were edited to be sped up.
Playing 5A this fast for one minute straight is definitely something new and I can understand all the people saying it looks sped up because it just looks unusually fast. I think if you have incredible skill and an unlimited amount of retries it is possible to land a one-minute performance at this speed, so “it just looking sped up” shouldn’t be enough to get disqualified. Someone should only get disqualified or banned with proof.

5 Likes

Look at the binding catching and rethrowing. It looks a little sus (to me in my humble opinion)

1 Like

I think it takes more than being “a little sus” to get disqualified/banned.

4 Likes

The finals video looks a bit sped up to me based on how the yoyo falls when he’s not holding it. Also his body movements are a bit unnatural when he turns and when he looks at the camera. Comparing his performance with last year’s one it looks like they’re two different persons for how faster and more controlled he is this year, but that could be just performance improvement.
That said, I genuinely think that a suspect should not be enough to disqualify him. Judges should have had a live session with him performing the same routine, if he can hit all elements in the same amount of time then the video is genuine.

13 Likes

I can’t find his finals video since he ranked 1st on prelims.

It was in the comments on the post linked in the OP, you can still see the comments from other people @‘ing Sense as replies to the deleted posts. No clue why the comments were deleted.

Regardless I don’t think it’s very good to speculate too much on this. People like Polo are vouching for him, the video looks undeniably awkward because of the low frame rate.

Speculating if he’s cheating or not without having more information than just this single post/video seems kinda ehhhh.

9 Likes

This is also the case last years owyyc from a Vietnamese 4a player whom I forgot the name but few players vouch his play as normal even the video itself looks sped up.

Character witnesses don’t count for much, nor should they.

2 Likes

Agreed, @mable

There is definitely something off with the video, i.e low frame rate or possible rendering issue that caused poor quality. I wouldn’t say for certain that it was sped up without some form of evidence. More so, if he performed the same routine live in the allotted time, I don’t see how they could have disqualified him. Maybe they should just chalk this up to low-quality video submissions.

4 Likes