Accidentally Tossed My Yoyo’s Bearing Down the Sink

Ok, so my bearing was getting kinda dirty, so I had to clean it. Whenever I clean it, I do it over the sink to not make a mess. Normally, it goes well, but not today. When I went to take out my bearing, my hands slipped. Next thing you know, my bearing falls down the sink, never to be seen again. What’s worse is that this is currently my only bearing, so I can’t yo-yo until my next one comes, unless I somehow can fish it from the sink :sob:

3 Likes

got a small magnet? You could tie it on a string and fish it out

1 Like

That could probably work! I definently have a few magnets around my house!

Edit: I do not have magnets, heading to Dollar Tree to see if there’re some there.

1 Like

oooh I hope it works!

1 Like

I mean usually you can unscrew the u pipe under the sink. that’s what I would do if I had to and then just put it back on.

11 Likes

Assuming your sink has a p trap you can unscrew the drain pipe under the sink. You’ll need a bucket cause it’ll have water in it that’s its job keep water to hold back the sewer gas. The bearing should be heavy enough it’ll just sit in the trap and not make its way down the main stack To the sewer.

Depending on your plumbing you might need a pipe wrench you probably can do it by hand though. Just depends on your region and local code, age of plumbing and who did the work.

10 Likes

I once lost my favourite n11 magic yo-yo :sob:
Someone stole it

2 Likes

Get a catchers mitt and a flashlight.

Simply wait until the next time it’s dark.

As the Earth rotates around the Sun, at night, the World is ‘upside down’.

At the moment the Planet is perfectly upside down, the bearing will fall up the sink and if you are fast enough, you can catch it.

9 Likes

Yo did you get it? I’m invested in knowing what happens now.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: STOP IT! :joy: :joy::joy:

@Spaghider GL friend. P Trap as explained above is your best best.

What is your cleaning method that you have to lean over the sink? Maybe next time try a bath of acetone or alcohol in a small glass jar or dish.

Let us know how you make out.

I actually use a small glass with acetone IN the sink, so acetone doesn’t splash somewhere I don’t want it to and destroy stuff.

2 Likes

I clean my bearings at my office desk I figure worse case I ruin the already messed up table top more.

1 Like

Not yet, I was super tired (and still am) after getting the magnet and trying to find a wrench, so I had to sleep. I’ll probably try to get it in an hour or two.

2 Likes

I do use a solvent in a small glass jar, I just do it over the sink to create the least mess possible.

1 Like

Nice. Gotcha.

Did you end up recovering the bearing?

Magnet trick sadly didn’t work, going to try to unscrew the pipes.

IT WORKED! Suprisingly, the bearing is completely intact, and can still spin. Still gonna have to clean it yet again though.

12 Likes

I’ve had to do that a few times to get my wedding band.

2 Likes

If you’re gonna do it over the sink may I suggest blocking the drain with a wash cloth or something like that?

4 Likes

Brandon has a really good deal for string and bearings. I would get it before it runs out on his shop