A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

I tried this once before and failed. I’m going to give it another shot for 2015. I just ordered an eH which I plan to have on me as much as my cell. Hopefully we can share tricks? I only know a handful of responsive yoyo tricks. Learning and sharing others will make the experience worth while.

Good luck MikeEff. Also in the 2 days of playing fixed axle I’ve broken over 15 strings, so you should stock up on some.

lol this one time I was at a yoyo meet and the string on my Irving snapped, nearly knocking off the head of one of my friends and making a dent in the concrete planter behind him ;D

Oh man! I have a pack of 25 YYE, Intermediate string - 50% poly, 50% cotton. It was given to me and the package doesn’t say if it’s “slick 6”. Does that sound like the right string? Should I get 100% cotton instead? I’ve heard polyester can actually melt?

50/50’s fine.

1 Like

If you find yourself tempted, one option would be to gift all your bearing yoyos to me. Just thinking out loud here. ;D

Also, 50/50 is the same as string labeled slick 6 or slick 8. And for anyone who doesn’t know this, the numbers refer to the number of threads twisted into the string, which means that the higher the number the thicker the string tends to be.

And you are correct about poly - 100% poly and wooden axles aren’t typically a good mix. I know some folks use poly on TMBR axles because those axles are incredibly smooth and don’t scorch quickly like other wood axles, but I haven’t had great results. YMMV, of course.

1 Like

Hopefully this never happens to me. It helps that i know how to make some good cotton strings.

I tried the slick 6 and it wore through quickly on my 70’s Butterfly.

Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I’ll be purchasing some more string. That’s ok. I planned on dropping by the local hobby store to get a ProFly too, so I’ll pick up some 100% cotton string there. But the eH is going to my main throw. I appreciate the generous offer to take all my unresponsive yoyos, JRod, but I’ll do my best to resist. :smiley:

Are you (JRod) going to start a different thread where we can post videos or tricks so we can share throughout the year? Or will this be the one. Part of my motivation is going to be mastering 52 tricks - 1 each week, and sharing them with everyone. Keep in mind that I’m still not very good at stalls, so that’s where I’m starting.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats pretty cool. I already have some tricks to share.

You know how to make some type 10? I could use a pack and would compensate you for the trouble.

Possibly. Let me have some time to think. And make strings. I let you know prior to 2015.

also give me a description. Like how many strings, length, color, etc.

[quote=“MikeEff,post:129,topic:69991”]
My inclination would be to just post vids here, but if you and others would be stoked about a different FA15 video thread, we can certainly do that.

No, I was just wondering. This thread will do just fine. I don’t want to completely copy you, but I might try the blog approach as well. I think that’s a great way to store and share my progress throughout the year. This thread would make a great place to share links to instructional videos and technical tips too.

I first got into yoyos as a 3rd grader with a Duncan Jewel imperial shaped yoyo that I found on the ground near my school (1977). Then Star Wars came out and my focus shifted to Star Wars cards, action figures and comics. I didn’t touch another yoyo until I was 42 in late 2011 when one of my 7th graders asked me to help him get a knot untangled. Now, 3 years later, I’ve owned, played and sold close to 200 different yoyos and have an on-again/off-again yoyo club with the kids where I teach. But in those 3 years, I have made very little progress.

This challenge isn’t just for me to use a fixed axle yoyo. It’s a challenge to find the essence of throwing and the tranquility of the experience. Thanks, JRod and Berto for inviting people to join you. This is going to be a fun year. :smiley:

Wow! I’m probably the youngest one here. I’m only 14. And have been playing yoyo for about 2 to 3 years.

Then I’m probably amongst the eldest here…

Sorry Berto, I got you beat.

I dunno, I look like a baby but am older. I’m glad this site has some of us older folk

Well, I must say that I’m way more than impressed with my Baldwin. My Palm is bruised from getting used to it, but I can’t put it down. Absolutely love the build quality of it, such a simple and elegant design. Also plays unbelievably smooth on a good throw, very minimal vibe when I get it right, and decent sleep times.

I’ve already got the basic trapeze stall down, and working on a double or nothing stall right now. Also getting the hang of sidewinders to maintain tension properly.

Overall, I’m really liking the change in pace of taking throwing back to the basics. Not sure I’ll fully participate, but my Baldwin will definitely take up a majority of my throwing when I’m not with my buddy who in teaching.