A Sized Bearing YoYo Love (Small Bearings)

Here is another A bearing yoyo that is a throwback design but provides a lot of modern joy and is still available. The YoYo Factory Confusion. I was very excited when these initially dropped last year and I had to have a black one. I play it with Zipline Darkroom strings because they are black. I like to play it black on black because it’s a badass EDC that way with attitude. Keep it lubed and greased for responsive play, but using the white thin pads for response for longer spins and extra string wraps.
20190220_054112

20190220_054023

20190220_053852

20190220_053224

9 Likes

What he said.

1 Like

Already sold out of these! I don’t think I could have made a better metal Freehand. I’m still throwing this yoyo haha. This shape actually was a mistake. The original shape was almost identical to the FHZ, a little more bowed out and rounder. Something happened to the CAD and the machinist had to redraw a bit of the shape. The redrawn one was a bit more I wanna say V shaped, and I didn’t actually notice at first. This change in shape lowered the weight a tiny bit, and made for a much more lighter and less bulky and sluggish feeling on the string when compared to the initial run. So this wasn’t an exact copy of the shape as I wanted, but the yoyo ended up being much better as a result!

12 Likes

The @DocPop Weekender is definitely the Next A Bearing YoYo getting the love.
20190301_184831

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdsLnfVyHDU

10 Likes

For sure!

Like my Confusion the same way!

I’m regretting not picking one up. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Anyone know where to find specs for the weekender?

Looks amazing.

"# Specs:

• Bearings: Size A (5x10x4 mm)
  • Size: 56mm by 35.56mm
  • Gap size: 3mm
  • Response: Core Co silicon response pads

These stats are all subject to change in the final release."

If you want in early, @DocPop has a Kickstarter up. Go to KS and search “Weekender”.

I ordered the solid, and am hoping this happens since he reached this stretch goal:

" * $5600- I’ll research a good way to nickel plate a small run of Weekenders and if possible, nickel plated option will be offered (for an additional $7, which will be collected after the campaign has ended for KS backers). Please note that since I’ll be needing to find a new nickel plating service, this option might not be possible unless I can find a consistent place at a fair price."

Hey Doc, I bet OD can help you find a place! :grin:

7 Likes

I think OD is on the hunt for a new nickel plating service too. I’m really hoping I can find one because it seems like folks are really interested in it.

9 Likes

Sidenote: we made A and C versions of the Executive prototype and I loved them both. We went with C because we figured it was more standardized, thus players could customize it easier, but I sometimes wish we stuck with the A.

… What the heck did I do with that A bearing prototype anyways?

10 Likes

You didn’t send it to me.

5 Likes

I can plate nickle. If you know anyone looking send me a PM. -Josh

3 Likes

I know someone: @DocPop, and apparently @da5id

2 Likes

I am a sucker for A bearing 888’s. I do wish that we could see some more in the future. But for the time being, I am enjoying the Confusion and my old 08/08/08. And a load of FHZs!

5 Likes

I definitely have a soft spot for the old “A” bearing FHZ with the rubber stickers for response. My knuckles were readily trained on that bad boy. :laughing:

6 Likes

Maybe too soon for the comparison, but how does the Weekender compare to a Confusion?

1 Like

Here are the numbers compared between the two. The Weekender is almost 10 grams lighter, they should play completely different. The Core Co response pads are also a lot larger in diameter. Just have to wait and see.

YYF Confusion
Diameter:55.95 mm / 2.2 inches
Width:34.95 mm / 1.38 inches
Gap Width:2.75 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 55.7 grams
Bearing Size:Size A (5x10x4 mm)
Response:YYF Small Response Pad
Retail: $35.00 (available now YYE)

DocPop Weekender
Size: 56mm
Width:35.56mm
Gap size: 3mm
Weight: 46 grams
Bearing Size: A (5x10x4 mm)
Response: Core Co silicon response pads
Retail: (pre order) $69.00 solids

2 Likes

This is big news if you love A bearing yoyos, now you can make some of those old beloved Duncans fresh whippersnappers with some modern response. FHZ weight 58grams without caps you know.

4 Likes
2 Likes

When it comes to A bearing YoYos Duncan has the most options. They also offer options to flip between either A or C bearings as well (Flipside). This was a fun mod using cheap Duncans from the big box stores toy aisle. I’m calling it my Super Wide Butterfly XT-A bearing. Using the mod spacers from a Pro Z pack with the spacers flipped to the A size. This is a wide 48mm and is weighing in at 68 grams with weight rings. If you cant afford a Moster Edge this is option for you. I also like running the Pro Z with the A bearing as this set up use to be marketed at the “Players Edition”. Its always fun to mix and match, a reason to collect them all.

PRO Z Narrow/ SW BF XT A / PRO Z Wide A

5 Likes