A Side Effect preference-thread? Summit owners contribute!

So, you’ve just bought a new One Drop. Let’s say a Code 1, since that isn’t any of the newer ones nor is it one of the more popular right now. (Thats just an example, so if you disagree, please dont say so)
You feel the stock SEs doesn’t really cut it, and you want to try some new ones out. In stead of making a new thread like “Best Side Effects for Code1?”, you go in here and look up what people have submitted as what they like to their different SE-yoyos. So it kinda acts like a database of likes… Or something like that.

I’ll start with an example. I have a Cascade. I like the stock domes, though i really like the ULs. Therefore i give the ULs 2 points, and Domes 1 point.
2 points to your fav. combination, 1 point per other combination you like.

6 - Alu Spikes
5 - Alu Domes
1 - Brass Ultralights
1 - Brass Domes
1 - Anti-Yo

Cascade
6 - Alu Domes
5 - Alu Spikes
4 - Alu Ultralights
2 - Brass Ultralights
2 - Eternal Throw
1 - Alu Spikes
1 - Dietz

Code1
6 - Alu Spikes
5 - Alu Ultralights
3 - Brass Ultralights
2 - Code1
1 - Dietz

Code2
7 - Alu Ultralights
5 - Alu Spikes
1 - Alu Domes
1 - Code1
1 - Big Discs

Dang
5 - Alu Ultralights
2 - Alu Domes
2 - Alu Spikes
2 - Brass Domes
1 - Code1

Dietz
9 - Alu Spikes
6 - Dietz
4 - Alu Domes
3 - Code1
1 - Alu Ultralights

GZR 54
1 - Alu Lego
1 - Alu Ultralights

GZR Cascade
2 - Alu Domes

GZR Code1
2 - Alu Domes

GZR Code2
2 - Alu Ultralights

Lab Experience #1
1 - Dietz
1 - Alu Spikes

Sakura
2 - Sakura

Summit
2 - Alu Ultralights
2 - Mini Discs
1 - Alu Spikes
1 - Code1

Vizilla/Bapezilla
4 - Alu Domes
2 - Alu Ultralights

Yelets
5 - Alu Spikes
4 - Alu Ultralights
2 - Alu Domes
1 - Stunt Pegs
1 - Code1

Get it? And then you guys submit what your favourite combinations are, and what other good combinations are. And i’ll update this first post as often as i can.
Is this a good idea or just rubbish?

Any feedback whatsoever (unless you’re acting retarded) is appreciated :slight_smile:

Sticky! I like the idea! i will definitly post once i get some more side effects. I think the Dietz needs ultralights, but i don’t know cause i aint got no onedrop! i am getting a cascade soon though, and i love my brothers deitz!

How did you think of the idea???

2-AL Domes
1-Brass UL’s

CODE1
2-Brass UL’s
1-AL UL’s

Dietz
2-Dietz
1-AL Domes

DANG
2-AL Domes
1-AL UL’s

CODE2
2-AL UL’s
1-AL Domes

Cascade
2-AL UL’s
1-AL Domes

Yelets
2-AL UL’s
1-AL Domes

Thanks! I don’t really know. Popped up in my head when i was showering!

Updated

wait… do you only have ALU domes brass and ALU ultralights and the deitz side effects? How many do you have?

I have played almost every side effect available. The ones listed are my preference. I like as little center weight as possible most times. Looks wise I do not like spikes… So its domes and UL’s…

SPIKES on everything!!!

Stunt Pegs.

I currently don’t even own a OD, but I own Stunt Pegs. Waiting for the perfect OD to put them on.

Go right now and get a Yelets. Stunt Pegs in a Yelets is a match made in heaven.

I’m really not sure if that’s a joke or not, lol.

Most of my One Drop throws came with black spikes. I really haven’t gotten around to buying new side effects but the Dietz plays like a charm with the silver Dietz I use.

Who would’ve guessed?

I like the idea Eastfield. The part about giving each points seems a little weird to me though… Maybe you could just straight up rank them?

i.e. if you like brass UL on your Code2, but sometimes you like to put on some anti-yo and some other times you like to use alu spikes. How about simply ranking them from favorite to least favorite? It could look something like this:
CODE2–

1. brass UL
  2. anti-yo
  3. alu spikes

Just a thought I had.

I may consider ranking all my favorites… but that would be a pretty long list considering my differing preferences based on whether it’s nickel, gzr, or standard.

Well, i have to have a way to sum this up in the first post.
I could just copypaste all the user-submitted opinions in my first post, but then people would have to read through them all to get an impression of what people like. I could say that “So and so many” listed yoyo Y with SE x etc, though that would be an awfully big amount of work, and i’m not sure if it’s really going to make any sense.
If points were optional and some kid went “My code2 with brass domes are teh best i give it like 600 points”, there would be no point in trying to collect “data” from people either. Sure, i could say that you’d given 3 points to you fav. combo, 2 to your next combo etc. But then when Studio42 comes with all his preferences, he suddenly have to give 13 points to his fav combo, then 12 to his second fav combo, then 11 to his third fav combo etc. since he have 13 different side-effects which he all likes on his SE-yoyo. Which means that when I, who only posess two SE-yoyos, will give 2 points for a combo i LOVE while Studio42 might give 9 for a combo he think’s pretty decent.
Did that make sense? Did i understand your question right? Thats why i think you should give two points for your fav, and one point for the other combos you like. Combinations that are just decent or okay shouldn’t really be listed, since they really doesn’t help anyone.

The Yelets got close, but I want more of a rounded profile… I wish I could put side effects on a five star… lol

That makes perfect sense Eastfield. I guess I didn’t realize your intention to make a ‘database’ of responses. Your point system should work just fine.

With about 18 different side effects to choose from, there are bound to be some interesting choices!

[quote=“SkyHighYo,post:14,topic:51234”]
Have you tried a BPZL/Viszilla?

Anybody know how the Summit plays/looks with different SE’s?

I have not played one but based on the specs and base weight I can’t see it playing and better with anything other than AL UL’s… But that is me… Once a yoyo goes past 66.9 grams I freak out…

Ohh I forgot about the Viszilla/BPZL For that it was:
2-AL Domes
1-AL UL’s

Plays great with spikes, but I like it best in the stock configuration.

I am curious to see what people’s preferences are on the GZR line.

I kind of gave my thoughts on that in the GZR review I did a little while back.

GZR Review

As for my preferences:

CODE1: Al CODE1 side effects or Brass Ultra Lights

CODE2: Al Spikes or Al Ultra Lights

Dietz: Al Dietz Side Effects or Al Spikes

54: Al Domes or Anti-Yo Side Effects

Sakura: Sakura Side Effects

Yelet: Al Spikes or Stunt Pegs

Lab Experiment #1: Al Dietz Side Effects or Al Spikes

Summit: Al Ultra Lights or Al Spikes

1 Like

on my code 2 it’s Al spikes, for the 54 when I had it mine played great with Al domes, and on my cascades it’s either the al spikes or al domes.

for my nickel dang i’ve got to have brass domes, helps me speed it up compared to the al ultralites. (I think my play style ends up faster when it’s got more center weight.)

Updated!
FYI: When people lists X or Y, i’ll give both 1 point.
If someone just lists one SE per yoyo, i’ll give that two points.
That makes sense, or?