A-rt furn first impressions

lol, how much faster is it?

If you’re ordering off of your phone it takes about 5-10 seconds from the cart.**

**If your shipping address is all dialed in and you have decent cell reception.

3 Likes

I just can’t fathom how the yoyo costs that much, even considering it’s machined the US.

I guess it’s priced that high because they are well aware customers will pay it regardless.

6 Likes

This is literally only my guess/me thinking out loud and nothing else, but I bet they worked out the total cost of making each individual yoyo to be around $27 (not including shipping/taxes) and then they charge a 100 bucks on top of that, so if you have a run of 30 (which they often do), it nets them a cool, even $3k per run. That’s what I’d do if I were them, especially if I knew they would sell like they do.

1 Like

I think the price per unit would be more than that if they are machined by Onedrop. $27 per unit sounds more like China prices to me.

You’re probably right, and I thought this too, but I was thinking about how OD has yoyos like the Intro that retail for $60. The Intro isn’t a very complex design, and neither are most A-rt throws, and if you estimate that OD prolly sells to retailers at around 60ish% of retail price, you aren’t very far off of that $27 mark. Although the cats at OD/A-rt would probably read this and laugh cause I’m probably totally way off lmao

3 Likes

I feel if the Intro was sold by A-RT as an A-RT design, it would be sold and sell out at $127 plus $15 for shipping for a total of $142.

Remember Jensen and Charles Build Brands.

8 Likes

For 6061 and a minimum of 200 pieces, which is what OD does atm, 27 sounds about right. Give or take a bit.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s really about the design anymore, it’s about both companies profiting from a-rt releases, also Jensen and Charles know that people will pay more because of what they have done for the community, if you don’t like the prices don’t buy it or find one on the BST.

6 Likes

so yall really gonna ignore companies like yyr and rso? acting like markups are anything new lol.

especially surprising hearing this coming from the same people in the community that will pay 500$+ for 10 year old mono’s if they have a heart logo on em.

26 Likes

:+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:@DapperWoona

5 Likes

I know right, same playbook, same price.

5 Likes

I haven’t really seen G2 of MFD get a lot of hate even though G2 now machines in China and charges the same prices

7 Likes

Another layer to this is if you want to pay more for american machining, personally even if there is no performance or quality difference I always try to support american machine shops, this is one of my biggest knocks against YYF that they mass produce designs and can still charge 120 for a bi-metal shutter.

3 Likes

Is American machining better than that available from the rest of the world?

EDIT - For my terrible grammar.

4 Likes

One up :heart: for the grammar, from the none native… :rofl:

The following quote is great for perspective. Yoyoben sure got that right.

I’ve been following this thread and been fascinated by the remarks.

People completely forgetting about the 2 guys on the other side of the 8 Ball. Charles and Jensen are 2 of the nicest guys you could ever meet no matter how long you live.

Their videos are second to none in both mad skills and character/almost to an art form level.

They have a sort of self imposed Black Sheep rating because that is just they way the decide to roll.

I find it somewhat disheartening that some feel so comfortable just casually discussing ‘why’ their yo-yos should ‘not’ cost what they do. Because it seems ok to cut up folks if ‘you’ don’t like the prices on the menu.

I’ve been friends with Jensen and Charles since they were kids, lol. These guys are far outside the box.

…A titanium yoyo called the Fragment costs $575.

…Mickey sells Ti and Mag yo-yos for 7/8/9 hundred dollars.

…RSO has the Doom Bot for $475.

…Kentaro has the Cetus and the Soul for about $500 a copy.

…Yoyorecreation has the Dazzler and the Seventh Heaven and the ‘whatever else’ for 6 or 7 hundred, etc…

Oh, yes, I know> but these are all Titanium so they have to cost billions, lol.

None are made in the United States. But it gets better>

Dave Geigle sells the Titanic(solid titanium) that sells/sold for $275. It is easily one of the best performing, best build, beautiful Titanium yo-yos ever made and comes in a bulletproof presentation box. And it is not even a bimetal. Also, 2Sick has released several high performance Titanium yo-yos for $300 or less including a bimetal.

Where is the huge posse of Boo birds jumping on most of the Ti makers for charging a GRIP for their Ti stuff when in many cases they could probably charge less?

If you want to get out the Axe and start cutting things up. Step back and study All the price points on yo-yos you feel could/should/would cost less if people simply did the voting with their wallets🤔

You don’t like the prices? Don’t buy the stuff… simple

…Perceived worth, actual value, potential value based on scarcity, etc… There is more to the equation than just arbitrarily grabbing the 2 guys from A-rt yo-yos and putting the screws to their product pricing.

Charles and Jensen are amazing assets in the yoyo community. They are highly skilled, intelligent and well respected. And… they have some excellent yoyo designs.

I got a Furn… I like it… price is just a number some can’t deal with…

27 Likes

It is really that simple.

9 Likes

So as someone who owns both the A-bearing proto and D-bearing release, I’d say it’s right in like with their other throws. Interesting, unique, fun, and insightful. It plays very well and is quite a lot of fun with a similar response to the quail. I have no insight into their production run size, overhead, and profit margin, nor do I really care. For me it was worth it. The dimples in the side are surprisingly smooth for fingerspins and pull-starts. Feel free to disagree, but I’d say give it a try. One benefit of purchasing a-rt is that you hardly having an issue recouping cost.

As for the Garrett, I really enjoy it. It’s simple, straightforward, and fun. While I doubt anyone would agree with me, when I throw it, it feels like what I imagine a v-shaped Grail would.

@yoyodoc And Elvin is pretty transparent on his production. RSO took a hit on the development of the Doom Bot, which is phenomenal (not that any of this was the point of your comment).

13 Likes

You know each other?