A question about Markmont Classic

I think that looks great also! I don’t really care much for steampunk, but the antique vibe I can appreciate. I love a good patina, and this is a good patina! I like the way the clean brass contrasts in the middle where the patina lightens up, makes it look kinda outer space-y in my mind also.

I wish I had a MM Classic to do this to now!

Wow I think I need a second MMC. That is one of the best looking throws I’ve ever seen. Nice work.

oh jeez… this thread…

Anyone else or just me and FullthrottleFRS have a MC tarnished now. My MC gets tarnished on both sides hub, only the hub. :smiley:

I don’t have a MC yet, but I did get my first nickel plated, a Duncan Al. I plan on forcing the tarnish on it. I think that the colors on that MC look amazing!

I don’t have this throw in nickel, and chose the blue and black versions instead. But, for my other nickels, I polish with a cloth that has some pre-applied jeweler’s rouge on one side. It works great, and you can find the cloth cheap on Ebay, if you’re interested.

Seriously, That is a thing of beauty

Okay, I see my picture has gotten quite the notice. I agree, it’s a polarizing look; some will not like it and think I ruined a perfectly good nickel plated MMC, and others really like it (myself included).

I will say, that those intense blues did not last, the patina wore into more of a rust look, which I still like a lot. The patina continues to change over time, which is a benefit to me. That picture was immediately after I was done soaking it in Sprite. After a few days, it had lightened up quite a bit, so that the rims and catch zone/gap were basically nickel colored again, just slightly darker than stock. The cups have stayed pretty dark, and the rims/catch area are starting to darken up again. I’ll post an updated picture when I get home today so you can see how it looks currently.

The thing I love about it is that it gives a rugged look to the throw, it’s personal to me because I made it look that way, and it continues to adapt as I play with it. Overall, it’s the most personal throw I own, and I love it. I don’t regret doing it for a second, so I don’t care if I can return it to its original bright nickel finish.

Obviously, if you don’t like the look, then it’s pretty simple to not soak yours in Sprite for 2.5 days. =]

Lastly, it didn’t affect the blast in any noticeable way, it’s still buttery smooth.

I think the person that answered your question, misunderstood what you were pointing to. I think you might have sent a different photo as well. Anyway, it looks like tarnishing to me. If you like you can also polish it or you can let it tarnish. It’s up to you.

Okay, so will my MC have mirror polished after I polished it or it’ll look like the clear version because it has a blasting layer on it?

I won’t look mirror cause of the finish and will look closer to the clear but not quite.

1 Like

ok, got it, thank you! :slight_smile:

Yep, the blast makes it look closer to clear than nickel plated throws usually do. However, the nickel plating makes it slightly darker than plain aluminum, and obviously allows the tarnishing to happen which will make it even darker.

The picture I posted was an accelerated tarnish/patina that I did to mine intentionally, by soaking it in Sprite for just over 2 days. Acidic substances cause nickel to tarnish, and the oils from your hands contain acids as well, albeit very minor compared to pop, therefore regular use will darken up the nickel finish slowly.

Just don’t get over-zealous with the polishing, it doesn’t take much to restore the original luster of the nickel, and you don’t want to wear through it.

1 Like

I haven’t done one myself but my guess is that it will be shiny.

1 Like

Let think that your guess is right, the MC will have shiny look, but how about the blasting layer? It still there after polished, or it gone. Then the MC will be like other regular Nickel plated throws. This makes me confused.

Here’s mine currently: the blues are gone, but I still really like it: http://i.imgur.com/yO1tCWr.jpg

And tinhlatinh, the blasting is likely done before the nickel plating, so if you polish it to where the blasting is gone, the nickel plating will be long gone. I’d assume the nickel MC won’t be able to be restored to its shiny new nickel appearance nearly as easily as other nickel plated throws that aren’t blasted.

If you try anything, it would probably be safest to use a very soft cloth and some polish and very gently rub the surface. Patience will be your friend. Or, don’t worry about keeping it shiny and embrace the patina as it forms! =]

Here’s my Code 1, still looks the same as I first got it on January 25th.

1 Like

To me, the Nickel MC is so different, it has both blasting and Nickel plating processing. I’m scare that it will lose it’s blasting layer after I polished it. I think I just leave it as how it should be. BTW, your MC looks like gold champagne now, it’s really attractive you know. ;D

I think Nickel plating gets tarnishing very slowly. I have a Nickel Summit, it already tarnished since I received it about 5 months ago, but it still looks same now. ;D

[quote=“tinhlatinh,post:38,topic:72703”]
Thanks, I just really like how it keeps adapting.

And yes, natural tarnish will darken pretty slowly, and it depends on how often you play with it. If you play with it on a daily basis, not much will build up, because you’re also rubbing it off as you play. If you play with it then let it sit for a few days at a time, and leave the oils from your hands on it, it will tarnish quicker.

My MC lightened up after my accelerated patina due to how much I played it, to the point where it almost looked stock again on the rims. But I’ve slowed down my play with it, and it’s started building up that tarnish again. I think that’s the beauty of nickel plated throws; they’re in a constant state of change in terms of appearance.

1 Like

Very great information, now I know why my Summit still looks same. :slight_smile: