A new spintop and Fordite spinstation

I feel myself getting sucked into another black hole of a hobby: machined spintops.

Today I got a Billetspin Thrust spintop along with a special spin station (basically a little platform to hold a curved glass lens). The station is machined out of Fordite which has its own cool history. Here’s Wikipedia’s explanation:

“Fordite, also known as Detroit agate or Motor City agate, is old automotive paint which has hardened sufficiently to be cut and polished. It was formed from the buildup of layers of enamel paint slag on tracks and skids on which cars were hand spray-painted, which have been baked numerous times.”

Aside from looking super cool, I love that the spin station is made of automotive Americana. Anyone else into spintops?

14 Likes

Are you the Dos Equis spokesperson?

3 Likes

" I don’t always spin tops… but when I do, I spin on the paint of thousands of Ford Mustangs."

5 Likes

I’ve always been fascinated by them, but I’ve managed to prevent myself from getting into the hobby.

Things like this make it really difficult to so, however:

That Billetspin Thrust looks amazing.

4 Likes

That’s an interesting top… What’s the spindle made of?

1 Like

I believe it’s acrylic. But I could be mistaken.

1 Like

The house is asleep so I can’t spin It right now. My friend is a glass worker and he made this for me.

5 Likes

Very cool Matthew! I love that your friend did it. Glass tops don’t seem to be quite as popular with the community, but glass spin stations are. There are some really cool blown ones that I’ve seen:

5 Likes

I’ve got a few ForeverSpin tops. Stainless Steel, Copper and a special edition aluminum.

2 Likes

Those are incredible. I’ll get a shot of those to my lampworker friend - he’ll totally dig that!

Try and get a shot of my top in action in a bit😉

3 Likes

2 Likes