A multi-yoyo overview/review of japanese yoyos

I’m tired

14 Likes

Nice reviews!! Glad to see some tricks!!

2 Likes

Nobody says a sugarglider performs better than a surveillance. Thats not a widely held opinion. People say they like playing with a sugarglider more.

The whole first 3:30 mins make no sense when you realise noone said a hummingbird doesnt have more spintime and stability than a sugarglider.

3 Likes

Great video, respectable hot takes. I know what you mean when the gang sort of vilifies performance over comfort. Like when someone says DragonForce is not good because it’s all technical, but Nirvana is fabulous because they were more expressive and artful. People like what they like and neither are bad.

I would add that the hybrids out of Japan (i.e. Surveil) are probably about 95% as good performers, at 50-60% cost, and 200% noise :joy:. Glad that surveillance found a good home!

So that’s why OneDrop had mostly boring yoyos until Panorama

hehe

1 Like

Some people do. I’ve met people that think like that.

I say at the end of the video that I had some hot takes and that it may piss some people off.

1 Like

interesting video. Enjoyed it a lot.

2 Likes

Neat video, I really enjoyed hearing what you had to say about each one. It would’ve been cool if you had been able to get your hands on any of Japan Technology’s stuff, their recent release of the Kagerou especially stands out a ton like the Hinemosu with an initial impression of “geeze those steel rims are ridiculously big.”

I think this video missed an opportunity to mention the plethora of awesome Japanese yoyos that aren’t super performance driven. Even as far as Turning Point goes the Mgska and Bacchus are very cool and different compared to almost every other yoyo out there at the moment, but they’re also going to be objectively worse performers than other things TP has to offer like the Hinemosu or
Counter Jet. They exist to provide a cool and different experience in play instead of just being an objectively good competition yoyo. There’s plenty of other stuff from companies like Sturm Panzer and Japan Technology that focus on having really innovative and unique designs, and I think people who would say they like American yoyos more for having “soul” might find they really love some of these designs from Japanese companies.

6 Likes

I can speak (type) a little to the Hinemosu x Kagerou comparison. The Hinemosu has massive rims, but they’re Ti. Obviously, TP intended to disperse the mass over a greater area and thereby mitigate the extreme rim weighting. The Hinemosu is very powerful, but still somewhat sluggish compared to other performance throws. I’m still honeymooning with the Kagerou, but it’s phenomenal all around. The Japan Technology designs I’ve tried have been great in all respects and the Kagerou is no exception. It’s very powerful and stable, yet retains excellent agility and feel. The width gives it a generous catch zone, and the shape is comfortable on the catch. It’s absolutely phenomenal and easily vying for the top spot in my collection. :ok_hand:t3:

Interesting point about the non-performance driven Japanese designs. Although there are certainly a fair number, I can see how Gingie chose to focus on the vast wave of Japanese performance throws. American designers have certainly produced exponentially more organic and ‘casual’ designs.

4 Likes