Amazingly good yo-yo. The Pragma

Old Mo here. I don’t play at a very advanced level. I don’t know what my actual potential would be if I put in more time throwing?
But I almost always have a yo-yo with me. And I can throw a good trick here and there, lol.
You get out what you put in. Just the way things work. But I have developed a ‘feel’ for whether a yo-yo is or isn’t a paperweight over the last 20+ years.:wink:

… The only time I really get a little irked is when a yo-yo is so good that I hesitate to jump in and say just ‘how good’ it is because I just think opinions about yoyo performance sounds more valid coming from a Yoyo Master.
… But, I gotta make an exception on this one.

The New Yoyofactory Pragma is the closest thing to ‘built in tricks’ I can remember🙀

As usual, Yoyofactory doesn’t bury us with TONS of pre release Hype. I wonder why sometimes?

I am just guessing they know once these get out into circulation, the word will spread pretty darn fast. I pasted the story on the Pragma, below. It’s a keeper.

From YoYoFactory: A yoyo designed for the whole world.

In yoyo design there has been a divide as wide as the Pacific Ocean. On the American side stands organic curves & smooth edges. On the Japanese side it’s straight lines, angles and loaded up rims. Often one side will try to emulate the other in design philosophies but the results are usually askew. In Pragma we see the perfect integration.

Designed in Japan with SUS YOYO MECHANICS for Japanese player Izuru Hasumi YoYoFactory observed & offered only delicate guidance & concepts in the design process primarily overseeing the final production. In the global world of yoyo play this fusion creates an amazing result with world class performance to appeal to players around the world in what is sure to be remembered as a masterpiece.

30 Likes

You’ve piqued my interest.
Is there a comparison with another throw you could think of ? I’ve just aquired a Sturm Panzer Sniper and its moved straight to my number one slot. I’d like my next purchase to be on a par with that quality, so i’m looking through posts to get some ideas.

Unfortunately with YYF it doesn’t seem to matter how good it is people will overlook because YYF isn’t one of the hype companies right now. The younger yoyoers right now gravitate towards a few select brands and it doesn’t seem like YYF is one of them. If SF released YYFs yo-yos they would all sell out instantly.

And (I think this is less of an issue but still makes an impact) their quality control certainly doesn’t help either. I know people who won’t buy from YYF because they know it’s 50/50 whether their yo-yo comes with vibe, and despite YYF having incredible customer service, buying a yo-yo, waiting for three to 5 days to get it then immediately having to send it for a replacement gets old after the third or fourth time. The standards for vibe have changed since 2010 but it doesn’t seem like YYF have gotten on par with them. And regardless of your personal feelings on vibe other companies are shipping 50 dollar yo-yos vibe free 98 times out of 100.

Don’t get me wrong I love YYF and think they are arguably the most important yo-yo company post 2000, but even I stopped buying from them for a while after having this issue.

6 Likes

I’m curious, I don’t own either but is this yoyo a follow up to the Singularity because they look very similar, have similar specs and are both signatures of Izuru Hasumi. How do they compare to each other? Definitely looks nice. I see what you are saying @Durfee, but I still love and support YYF. They consistently release really cool and innovative designs. They are by far the dominant brand in my modest but substantial ~30 yoyo collection.
Edit: My most recent YYF purchase was the Edge 1.5 and it blew me away with having a super premium feel, excellent fit and finish and is nearly dead smooth on the fingernail, impressive for a bimetal.

I kinda agree. Yyf definitely has high quality and doesn’t have the hype around them as other boutique brands, but yyf also makes probably upwards of 3x the amount of pieces per model that others do. Not knocking on any other yoyo companies, but think about how many of those yoyos sell out instantly because there’s only like 30 (or less in other cases) per drop. Its a great way to build up hype but yyf has proved it doesnt need the hype for the past 14 years.

7 Likes

YYF was very much hyped up in it’s heyday of ~2006-2011. I was offered a Bape (not mint ofc) for my superstar back in like 2008 lol.

I like them, a lot. They make consistently good yo-yos and are very innovative combined w/ nostalgia I have for that period.

6 Likes

Oh for sure they definitely were when they first came out, thats no question, otherwise they wouldn’t be in the position they are today!

What I meant was with so many new companies and so many new yoyos to be hyped about, there’s not as much around YYF releases because everyone knows they are quality product, even if there are exponentially more yyfs available than most other brands.

1 Like

Ahhh yeah that makes more sense. I agree I haven’t seen the level of hype for YYF throws recently that I’ve seen for some other manufacturers, most of their releases outside stuff like the Ti Genesis and 888 MMXX seem to go under the radar.

1 Like

Lol, whaaaaat?

1 Like

:wink:

Ti Genesis???

1 Like

Ooohh you were confused about the releases, my b. Yeah YYF did a quiet release of the Ti Genesis only to original backers of the titanium 888. Supposedly according to Ben will eventually be released to retailers like YYE.

1 Like

Daaang! Do you have any pics of that?

I can confirm this yoyo is really good! Released last year in Japan and I was really impressed by the one I tried there. Big improvement over the Singularity.

Not my pic (I’m not fortunate enough to be on the mailing list so I heard about it second hand), I’ll try to hunt down some more:

1 Like

Cool, thanks for sharing! – Sorry to derail this topic… :grimacing:

1 Like