A History of the Team MA Yo-Yo Team

This video covers a brief history of Team MA from 1998-2002.

18 Likes

I could watch these history videos all day. You keep making ā€˜em and Iā€™ll keep watching ā€˜em.

Thanks for taking the time to do this @JordanCooper.

10 Likes

Another great video!

Yes, it is sad that all the old forums and websites are gone now, so itā€™s good to have someone who lived through this important time give us an oral history.

I donā€™t know what else you have planned, but you might want to talk about the yoyos you guys were using back then since they were so important for the tricks you were developing. Iā€™m thinking of the old Yoyojams like the Cappy SpinFaktor. I also think in one of the later Team MA videos you used a Freehand prototype (it might also have been a modded Wheels; itā€™s hard to tell).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea. Iā€™d probably ask Nate Auger to do that one with me since he actually still has all of his old yo-yos. I sold many of them years ago.

2 Likes

this is amazing and inspiring!! - I am so honored to be mentioned among the greats! :palms_up_together:

Havenā€™t watched the full vid yet, but already love it man!

also itā€™s Jim Botelho from A2Z Yo-Yo Teacher hahah

Update: just finished this and WOW.

1. I had no idea you were reaching out to Citadel and he told you guys to try again next month LOL
  2. I knew you and Shawn were one of the first but didnā€™t know you were THE FIRST people do pass the list.
  3. I saw Nate Auger last year and Nate Sutter still is active in the yo-yo community and I believe I heard he moved back to MA?
  4. Alex Loziniak i ran into 3-4 years ago and he still remembers some moves but not all of them. Still the flow king in my opinion.
  5. The last clip of me warmed my heart so much, and its crazy too bc I am literally throwing the new remake of the FH1 today and it happens to be yellow, the same one I used in that video LOL!
  6. Canā€™t wait to hear about more of your stories. I was just a little kid and looked forward to learning so much from you guys. You and your friends were a big big inspiration to my yo-yo career!
  7. I vaguely remember the judges did not know how to score your tricks because they were ā€œtoo complicatedā€ aka too good/way ahead of its time LOL

P.S. I also just watched your MAR 2001 routine and I got to say, the tricks you were doing back then VERY MUCH kept up/ Even were more ahead of itā€™s time then some of the competition winners back then. I wouldnā€™t have been surprised if you competed in 2001 Nationals and WON.

5 Likes

Thanks. Somehow his last name totally slipped my mind.

1 Like

no worries, its only been 20+ years LOL!

Yeah, thanks for reminding me of how old I am. Hah.

man, grew up in MA was throwing in highschool 94-98ā€¦ wish I lived closer ( grew up in framingham) and or even knew of this team existing, i would have done anything to joinā€¦i remember trying to find the yomega y3a patches and stuff around then.

2 Likes

LOL my b bro! its been a min :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There was another shop closer to your neck of the woods that had yo-yo clubs as well back then if i recall called Funzapoppin in Swansea!

Also, donā€™t forget that there was a brief return of Team MA around 2004ish.

3 Likes

I have no memory of this video at allā€¦

Oh I didnā€™t know Nate Sutter was back in MA! Maybe I can go visit and do a new vid with him and Auger. Would be fun!

1 Like

Im not 100% sure, but I think that is what I heard. Either way heā€™s still yoyoin for sure! :slight_smile: and a video of you guys would be EPIC!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this video as well! - WOW i am going down such a big rabbit hole/ going back in time and I am loving it LOL

@JordanCooper were you all using the yoyojam shockwave?!

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s what we were using there. Seems about the right time period.

1 Like