A high-end yoyo display solution!

Hello all,

About a year ago I teased an idea about a yoyo display shelf hand-made from thick wood. Well my brother and I have found a bit of time to hammer out some details and we’re almost to a point where we’re ready to offer them for sale.

But we need your input. What would you want to see in a yoyo display case? Do you value fancy crown moulding/trim? Would you prefer to pick the stain color? What size matrix would you be interested in (3x3, 2x6, etc.)?

Here are some preliminary pictures.

The first prototype, which we’ve since greatly refined.

We opted to remove the crown trim in the interest of cost-savings (I also ran into mine and it’s very sharp lol). Though this is something we’d potentially offer as a custom option.

The first of the new designs, a 2x2 and a 3x3:
The internal cubbies are 2" x 2".

Outside dimensions:
2x2 - 6.25" W x 6.25" L x 2.5" D
3x3 - 10.5" W x 10.5" L x 2.5" D

Each case is made from 3/4" oak with 1/4" oak plywood backing. Hand-sanded and hand-finished in our small shop in northern Michigan.

Initial pricing are as such and subject to change (shipping not incl):
2x2 - $60
3x3 - $90
4x4 - $130
5x5 - $160

These prices would include the standard design as shown above, though we’d be willing to offer custom options for a price.

What are your general thoughts on these display cases?

• Are you taking preorders?? I need one yesterday!
  • These look nice but I’m not interested in buying one.
  • These don’t look nice and I am not interested. Yuck. Gross.

0 voters

13 Likes

How much for one that holds 1600 yo-yos?

10 Likes

These are cool. I think crown just around the top might be nice.

4 Likes

@LinksLegionaire Those look really nice. I think I prefer the molding though. One thought if I may, why use 3/4” stock for the interior walls? 1/2” or even 3/8” would be plenty strong and cheaper to make. They would weigh quite a bit less for shipping as well.

6 Likes

A bit less than $10,680

4 Likes

In my limited experience here, it seems like very few people are willing to pay for nice displays. I’ve made a few different designs hoping to find something that people would actually buy with little success. Even when using exotic materials people expect displays to be cheap for some reason.

2 Likes

Good question! When we discussing materials and dimensions, we initially just tried 3/4" because that’s what we had on hand. We considered going with thinner walls, but we haven’t had much luck finding suitable material. We also quite like the ‘stoutness’ of the thicker inner walls so we ran with it. Rest assured we’re still trying to source other thicknesses (and different woods) for some variety.

I agree, I really like the moulding. But with my case, one night I took the corner a little too fast and the edge dug into my arm and broke skin. You’ll just have to sign a waiver :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting. Most display cases/shelves you see on here are a little on the…let’s say ‘not fancy’ side of things, which I found odd because people will fill these $20 shelves with thousands of dollars worth of high-end yoyos. It’s like wearing an Armani suit in a old Saab, IMO.

4 Likes

Yeah that was my thought too. :man_shrugging: i initially thought it was just a lack of variety or availability but I think that’s just the market

Love this! I’ve been thinking about making the same!!

Crown molding all day!! Beautiful!

2 Likes

You still in Michigan @LinksLegionaire ?

I work at Rockler woodworking in Novi. Lots of dimensional wood choices.

4 Likes

I also like the crown molding :grin:

1 Like

This is one that i made out of mahogany decking almost 2 years ago. I was able to use 5/4 thick decking then re-saw it in half and plane the re-sawn face to bring it to 3/8 +/-. It is plenty stout and i was able to get double the lumber out of the boards by re-sawing them. Yours look good, good luck with the sales.

17 Likes

Yeah still in Metro Detroit but our shop is near the tip of the mitt.

1 Like

No thickness planer in the shop?

Hey, LJ. I’m often in Wixom for work. Next time I’m in town I’ll reach out. I’m a newbie woodworker and would love to visit a Rockler store. I didn’t realize there was one in Novi.

2 Likes

Oh great! Yea definitely stop by when you’re in the area.

1 Like

How about some sort of plexiglass door to keep the dust off

2 Likes

We definitely tossed around the idea of some sort of dust-protection. The goal for these was to present a premium product, as such we didn’t want to use ‘cheap’ materials, so considered a glass panel door. We worried it’d up the cost a bit too much on this initial run. BUT we may offer it as an option on custom orders.

Not to hijack this thread but this collection is INCREDIBLE!

Extreme Spin and Infinite Illusion Renegades… OUTCH RAIDER! Love it.

2 Likes