A-grades vs. B-grades

Your dinged “A” grades on BST are actually B grades or C grades anyway

In the end I mess up my youos with okay I don’t mind some vibe and flaws especially for a discount

3 Likes

#fakeNews

1 Like

If I’m buying a nice yoyo, I want an A grade.

3 Likes

85$ iirc and there was a blue cup version :melting_face: i wish i didnt miss it. though ive seen a mint 303 go for 110$.

B-grades are nice if they are discounted properly. i just wish the sellers would state whats the condition of the throw that it got B-grade instead of the mystery “its for minor vibe or ano flow” some people are okay with one but not the other. and id be more informed customer to know the flaw to justify the price id pay for it or save for A-grade.

2 Likes

Yes, that was very tempting but I passed. I thought maybe @Joe77 might have grabbed it. I agree with you, I wish it would say if it’s vibe or ano. Normally small vibe doesn’t bother me until I focus on it and then I can’t not focus on it :laughing:

1 Like

I try and get the A-Grades, but will also pick up B-Grades when I get the opportunity.

However; One Pin Prick or a kiss to the floor and those A-Grades quickly become B-Grades

5 Likes

I love B Grades. I’m a broke student so B-Grades are a good way for me to actually afford new yoyos. Like others have mentioned, so many are so high quality that they are almost indistinguishable from many A-Grades.

Plus I’m so far away from being pro it’s fine if a yoyo isn’t at its maximum peak performance lol

3 Likes

Yea, I was lucky enough to pick up one of the B-grade rainbow 303s for $85 and absolutely love it! (light green cup) It was listed as having some vibe. But man, this thing feels smooth to me. :grin:

I’m a fan of B-grades if the price is right or it’s a hard-to-find yoyo.

But, If it’s only going to save me a few bucks…A-grade all day.

2 Likes

Very cool grab Joe, when you get a chance can you try to get a photo of it spinning?

Thats spinning believe it or not. 1/4 second exposure.

5 Likes

That is stunning. Fantastic photo, thanks :hugs:

1 Like

They had a couple for sale about a month ago that went up on the site. I’m not sure if there were that many.

2 Likes

I wish companies released the C grades/trash grades more often. I’m somebody who almost never buys yoyos new, and I do feel a little guilty sometimes about not directly giving money to the people making the stuff I enjoy. New yoyos are just too expensive for me, so it just makes more sense to wait until I can get damaged/vibey stuff off the BST at a price I can afford.

Give me washing machine levels of string vibe out of the box, I really don’t care, it doesn’t bother me. I’d happily give a company money for a trash grade yoyo, instead of waiting to buy a damaged one off the BST and never having the company see a cent of my money.

6 Likes

I don’t mess around. It took a lot of pleading , from me mostly. But I only buy Z grade throws.
Pretty sure I’ve cornered the market.

2 Likes

i think some companies have a brand standard to uphold, so c-grades just wouldn’t make it into the equation. sometimes depending who you are working with, they may not be available, or any produced even. but it’s interesting the amount of support the b- and c-grade market gets.

1 Like

I can definitely understand that reputation aspect from more premium/collector focused brands, but I think for player/competition focused brands it’d make a lot of sense.

If I want to buy six yoyos as a 3A comp set, I really don’t care about vibe or damage or any major flaws on the yoyo. If they play, they’re good. I just want six of this same yoyo for the cheapest possible price, and not needing to rely on the BST for that would be nice.

2 Likes

I think my B grade Vulture is smoother than my A grade unnamed titanium. I got both from the Yoyofriends mystery box.

2 Likes

I have a few B-Grade metal/bi metal yoyos and I can’t find a single thing wrong with them, except for one that had vibe; which I eliminated completely after changing the axle. However, I have a B-grade fixie that has pretty bad string vibe.

Going forward, I have no issues with B-grade metals, but will avoid B-grade fixies.

1 Like

Let me tell yall. I love glitches and baked potatoes. Happy Friday.

2 Likes