888Rim Repair , Need HELP

Hey guys , my 888’s rims is badly beat up and i was wondering if i could just sand it or do i need a machine?

You could just sand it with your hands, but there is a large chance you won’t do it evenly across the yoyo which may make it develop vibe. The machine just helps with accuracy.

what machine do i need? :confused:

All you really need is a drill.

Drill and sandpaper eh? what type of sandpaper?

well a drill is the cheep way to go (my way)

in the video, the modfather used a lathe.

what you do for the drill is take out the drill bit, put the yoyo in by the axle (it may do a little damage to the axle, so i recommend either having a replacement axle or taping it) when you spin the drill, it should spin the yoyo. you want a fair amount of torque. you will need some lower grid (600) and some higher grit (1000). use the lower first and then go to a higher grit. after that, it is a matter of polishing.

I wouldn’t consider 600 lower. I’d start out with 200 then work to 600. Any higher than that will start the polishing.

1 Like

right , and if i dont have a drill and cant find one?

the drill is cheeper than a lathe. plus it is more likely to already have a drill lying around.

i would advise against doing this by hand.

Alright , Thanks everyone , gonna try this next week . 200 sand paper then 600 right? then use a cloth?
Wish me luck

IF you really do not have a drill, one of the other choices is to throw a sleeper and sand it from the bottom.

Not going to work much.

If you can’t find a drill then you need to send it to someone to do it for you.

Whatever you do, make sure it isn’t this. Bad idea, and just won’t work

I was gonna try it . Why wont it work?

Not enough RPM, and not an effective way to apply force to the rims of the yoyo

1 Like

i sanded my 888 and it looked pretty good
a pic of my is here http://wwwdotbigtony.tumblr.com/

by hand?

sanded by hand , looks pretty good

yeah it took me a few hours with sand paper and it does great my eight has a lil wobble but its from where i some how messed up the thread inside the yoyo