5a tips

hello i just started 5a (counter weight) and was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to improve my performance. i use a severe, duncan extra squishy bouncy ball counter weight, and the trick i am working on right now is double or nothing stall.

thanks,

Work on your basic tricks (pinwheel, under mount, etc.) for 1 day each so you can master them.

Then work on tricks like Bee-Sting and E-Fan for 2 or 3 days each.

Then watch a LOT of videos and start making up your own stuff.

If forgot the most important thing: (almost) NEVER PINCH THE STRING!

1 Like

Yup, what DYonch said.

But I heard JonRob say that you want to make sure you always get into mounts the 5a way, for example, don’t do a 1a double or nothing when your doing 5a.

1 Like

wow that really helps me as well thanks^___^

These are some great tips. I’ve just started throwing in December and only throw 5a. Ive got a good handle on the 5a mounts and bee-sting. What would be considered the “5a” basics? Intermidiate?

Thanks for posting the tips.

Ken

KEEP THE COUNTERWEIGHT MOVING. Even if it is simple, thats 1 of the elements in freehand or 5a.

Yah this is really important, because I have seen preformances where people hold the counter weight for a long time and it is not very impressive.

As said, try to keep the counterweight moving. But don’t just move the counterweight around. Use the movement of the counterweight as your core for all tricks. Make sure the counterweight isn’t just spinning around while you do fancy tech. This is what I think looks better, which is also why Sterling Quinn is my favorite 5a yoyoer.

Very True.

Do be sure to keep the counter weight going… If you were to do a trick in a contest and hold the counter weight the whole time it would be counted as 1A and not scored…

Get a strong windmill… Its the base to most mounts

Sub to Bever Chakus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB2nXpvZSps

He’s an amazing 5A player and has alot of good tuts on his channel as well…