50/50 yoyo thread 11/16 50/50 production run is SOLD OUT!

I might get 2 just to gave a red and bluešŸ˜ƒ

4 Likes

omg thatā€™s so exciting man! Super happy for you! What a dream!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha im not sure about colors or anything yet. Its something I have to ask about. Because its such a small run itll probably be 1 or 2 max.

@twitch77 it is very exciting! Being able to do everything myself is something ive dreamed about since i started a long time ago.

3 Likes

darn fade isnt winning :frowning: i still enjoy a good half swap tho! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorryā€¦I canā€™t help that Iā€™m so annoying! :joy:

3 Likes

Im thinking green for prototypes. Like a hot green. A green that you would see on a 1970s stingray

4 Likes

:green_heart:

7 Likes

Either that or thinking a 2 tone green a la the 5 star v2 as part of the run. A lot to figure out tho haha.

Edit: also, I know the poll says its gonna run until tuesday night, gonna make it until monday afternoon EST so I can start posting a discussion about actual colors.

4 Likes

Sign me up for one

3 Likes

Iā€™m excited about this design. Looks super fun!

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Ill have some more info in a couple hours regarding colors, just about to leave from vacation and need to clean up lol.

5 Likes

Okay guys hereā€™s your update on how things are progressing:

Closing the poll now. We will go with a solid color, as basically 70% of you want a solid color over a fade, as seen here:

As for colors, the machine shop let me know that ill only be allowed 1 color due to how small my run is going to be (only 50 production pieces), so unfortunately I dont believe a half swap will be viable.

So with that out of the way, here are the colors that I thought of, let me know what you guys think:

The first is this green for the prototype run. There will only be 5 of these, not sure what im gonna do with them at this point, but ive always enjoyed green throws. This one should pop really nicely. Im hoping to order these sometime tonight or tomorrow and see how they play!

This is the color I am thinking of for the 50 piece run. Inspired by the blue lavender DK colorway, I wanted to do something similar but with more of a purple/grey instead of the blue hue in the light. The colorway is beautiful and im hoping itll have a similar effect, where it looks smooth, subtle, and classy, but also stellar looking in the bright light.

This color isnt set in stone yet, and id love to hear thoughts about it and any other ideas for colors that anybody might have.

Last update is the engravings. My first thought was to have a line along the rim, but im kind of moving against that. To match this subtle color I was thinking a subtle image as well would pair nicely. Something to kind of ā€œbrandā€ the yoyo. With the yoyo being called the 50-50, @MarkD and I brainstormed this idea up:

There are a couple of options we can decide on the placement of the engraving. Can either be on one rim, both rims, or the cup. Im personally leaning towards having it somewhere in the cup of the yoyo, but this is something id like help deciding. My cousin is a graphic designer and can spruce it up for me a bit too, but i like where the idea of the engraving. Thanks again Mark for messing around with it for me!!

So let me know your guys thoughts about the colors and engraving, and if you have any suggestions id love to hear them!

Edit: also would love to hear about packaging for the yoyo (i.e. a box with the yoyo in it)

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing your progress, this is very interesting! The engraving that you have now is great, but I am not sure how it would look with the spiking coming through it if you were to put it in the cup. It might be cool to incorporate the spike in the logo. I am not a huge fan of rim engravings, but if it is minimal and simple that could be cool. Keep up the great work, I am excited to see where this goes!

3 Likes

Very cool stuff, I might be interested. Sorry if I missed it, but what bearing size you thinking? I know C is the standard now, but why not consider making even more unique with a D bearing?

2 Likes

@MattE if it was in the cup it would probably be above or below the spike, but i get what youre saying. Im not a huge fan of rim engravings but it would be as you said, small and simple. Think this one would work on the rim.

@Roy_Dodge i am going with a C bearing for this one. I love d bearings and agree it would be interesting, but im not 100% on the guts for a d bearing yet and want the design to be safe as possible. Perhaps in the future :slight_smile: it is definitely something I want to explore.

6 Likes

I donā€™t know if youā€™ve got plans for all the protos, but Iā€™d likely be interested in purchasing one off of you if youā€™d be interested!
I wish I was more skilled and could playtest one of the protos for you to give you some solid feedbackā€¦but itā€™d be a collectorā€™s piece for me more than anything.

5 Likes

Ill probably sell 2. I know you love green and youre always supportive of me, so ill hit you up for sure.

7 Likes

Bromance in actionšŸ˜

4 Likes

you could contact a guy who anodizes yoyos for more colorway optionsā€¦ just an idea. i really like the engraving and (iā€™m kinda telling you my opinion w/ engravings) you should consider doing it pretty small (like Mk1 engravings) on a single rim. People can half swap them for an engraving on both.

2 Likes

Im definitely leaning towards the rim option for the engravings. I think the cup area near the spike is too small for the engravings. maybe iā€™ll put up another poll when the time comes to decide if it should be both or 1 half.

Iā€™ll also have renders of both colorways in different light environments so you can see it a bit better.

3 Likes