3D Printing People, Please Help Spinworthy

Hi,

Im looking for a way to mark the holes on my button model in order to drill them in a perfect grid. I get way too many B grade Buttons from them not being aligned correctly.

I made this jig (pictured), but the holes in it aren’t aligned perfectly. What I intended for it is for the nub to fit snugly in the axle hole and then I use a centre punch through the small holes to mark the places I need to drill.

Can one of you fine gentleman print something that could help me? I will make you a free Button if you can print and send me something that works.

11 Likes

@TheThrowingGnome

6 Likes

I got you Glen. Just send me some dimensions etc.

12 Likes

You read a lot of crap around here but it’s the little things that I really love.

12 Likes

You could have one made of mild steel or aluminum that would last a lot longer. Can easily be done through Xometry

4 Likes

Yeah, something like this seems ideal for a service like SendCutSend

Someone in this thread recommended Vulcan Steel in Brisbane for an Australia-local option if you have the DXF file for the part.

3 Likes

@Glenacius_K I think I remember seeing a jig that attaches to your tail stock that would let you drill off center holes. Assuming your lathe spindle indexes that would probably be easiest and most precise. But maybe not the cheapest depending on how much that jig costs.

4 Likes

Interesting. I’ll check that out.

3 Likes

Google “one way drill wizard”. That’s the guy.

3 Likes

OG Ed Davidson gets it done precisely with the Drill Wizard…Trick Tool.

3 Likes

Well, the answer is simple. Just find a big button and transfer-punch it’s holes over. Authentic hole spacing guaranteed!

Ivan

3 Likes

I discovered yesterday that the problem may be my eyesight. I’ve had a lot of trouble focussing on fine detail the past 6 month or so. I had an eye test yesterday and found out that I am far sighted. That’s most likely the whole problem.

8 Likes

No problem we’ll just make you new eyes. I have the best vision money can buy.

6 Likes

[Robocop has joined the chat]

3 Likes

My last 13.5 hour surgery wreaked hovoic on my eyes for sure.
Thus, acquiring these jewelers goggles (Carson Pro Magnivisor) for enhanced vision has been a game changer for my hand-painted letters and pin stripping endeavors.
Whereas, these lenses are hella optically clear and easy to use, not to mention more affordable than most yoyos.

Cheers~

6 Likes

I’ve never needed something like those for fine detail in the past. It’s just now I have age related far sightedness. A pair of prescription glasses will be all I need. Thanks for the idea, though!

2 Likes

So it occurred whst to do to get the holes aligned last night. I just needed to mark the halves on rhe lathe then make a basic jig for my drill press. Worked perfectly.

13 Likes

Well now that you figured it out, the jigs I made you will finally arrive.

3 Likes

Super excited for this guy! Expecting a challenge, but should be fun :joy::blush:

1 Like