2a looping, question about in-depth settings

So I’ve been doing 2a for about a month and so far I can do two handed loops and small variations (a bit in-consistence), milk the cow (a bit in- consistent) and few around the world variations. I’ve been thinking about how actually decent 2a players (new style) set up their yoyos. I said new style because as far as I’m noticing, old style 2a players have different trick flows and variations. For example old style players mostly uses longer string and loops at their belly button height, while new style players do loops at their chest height. Old style rarely uses element which involved sleeping the yoyo (tangler, wraps, etc) and in my personal opinion they looks quite “funny” rather than “cool”.

Now the main question is what settings/mods/customizations actually new style 2a players applied to their yoyos? I already know about Raiders mod and I don’t want to talk about that here. I’m trying to figure it out how people can loop very fast while being able to get long sleeper with the same setting?. Please don’t just making assumption. Giving opinions is great, just avoid assuming things…

Ugh, I typed a whole novel then I read that you don’t wanna hear about the Raider mod…

Anyway, I’ve had some experience with looping and all I can really tell you is that the speed of looping comes down to three things. String length, gap size and you. When I was looping, I could loop faster when my string was smaller (approx. floor to my pocket) and the gap was smaller (but not to small of course). But the speed just came to how I was looping. Now I know this isnt too helpful, and I dont know anything about modding, but at the least I hope this bumped up this post so you can get some real help :wink:

Have you tried someone else’s loopers? especially the one customized by “decent” 2a players who loops quite fast, I wanna know if their yoyos have wide or narrow gap, how about the response feels, is it snaggy, so many questions in my mind. :-\

Well today I shorten my strings into about 30 inches long (I’m taller compared to most Japanese, but definitely much shorter than most Americans) finally I can loops quite fast, but I still have curiosity about the setting. I’m amazed how 2a players can loops fast while being able to sleep their yoyos for quite long time…

I haven’t used anyone else unfortunately. I dont really have friends that yoyo so I dont know. But I know that Jayyo here is quite a fine 2a player and has met a lot of 2a players. I would give him a pm asking your questions.

It may be more beneficial to keep this conversation public in order to make the information available to the entire community.

I just got a pair of Unleashed yoyos for when I venture into 2A. Out of the package, they are too response and simply won’t sleep. I had to loosen them up a tiny bit to get them to sleep. As I can’t do looping yet, I’m not really concerned about further progress.

However, my main point would be that, just as we spend a lot of time and/or money trying to either find the perfect throw, or an acceptable throw, or modifying something into compliance with our target “ideal”, I can’t see looping being any different. There doesn’t seem to be quite the variety of loopers due to models being discontinued, but even so there’s plenty of good stuff available. The issue is that it might be a bit of a chunk to take a risk on a pair. $36(approximately) for a pair of Unleashed isn’t too bad considering most decent 1A throws start at around $35 and up. YYF’s Loop900 is going to run you $50 or so for a pair, which again isn’t too bad considering some great 1A throws start in the $40 range for a single yoyo.

For me, I chose the Unleashed because I like YYJ and locally, the Raider is about the same price, if not a bit more, so there’s no motivation to buy in. I didn’t feel the Loop900 is worth the price for my skill level. But I also didn’t want to get the Shinwoo Loop for myself either, at $10 a yoyo.

I’d say the idea of getting their hands on someone’s set of loopers would be a good idea, along with getting some help and tutorial knowledge from the individual. If anything, it will establish a starting point or base level. But after that, it’s really up to the individual to figure out what works best. That takes time and money to get done. Also, keep in mind bearing lubrication can affect play just as much as well.

At the same time, many people love the Raider, and the modified Raiders. You can often buy modified Raiders in BST. If you’re not happy with what you’re throwing, it’s a good way to get some items you can’t otherwise obtain, and get rid of stuff you don’t want for whatever reason. Don’t cut your options short. But I am in favor of trying off the shelf stuff first. I tend to do well that way… You know, “as is from the factory” kind of thing. I’m not saying “mods are bad”, because I don’t believe mods are bad. For now, for me, as the yoyo comes is fine. Typical stuff is acceptable, you know, like lubing bearings, changing response pads(or even siliconing). I’m talking about physical modifications.

Another idea is to stick with what you’ve got and put way more time in. We all have to learn the basics. Once you got a lot of stuff down solid, that’s really the time to think about trying other stuff.

I am NOT a Looping Champ or anything. Just thought I should be upfront.

I have used a few yoyo’s, I have found that using my Relics and Sunset Trajectory NXG’s the diference between looping and sleeping can be quite subtle.
The Relic and Sunset Trajectory NXG have adjustable Gap, so it was only a matter of tweeking between throws to find a sweet spot.

Now when I throw them it is a real wrist snap and softened landing to get a good sleep, or a flick and tug at the end for fast return.

D

short string = faster loops
i usually set my gap so that i may be able to do worlds barely. i start out to the tightest and keep on increasing the gap until when i do worlds it will not ‘snap’ back. These settings is usually enough to make the yoyo sleep and yet responsive enough.

you may also need to consider string tensions. new strings tend to be more responsive and becomes thinner as you continue to play with it. I am not saying my method of adjusting the gap is the ‘it’ advice. however, i find this a good compromise considering strings condition. The yoyo will be loose and responsive enough until you need to change strings.

strings plays a bigger role when it comes to looping compared to the other styles. you’ll see that you will eat thru your string supply way faster than doing 1a.

1 Like