2A Discussion Thread

Oops the app was acting up.

It’s worth sending them to me. I think Christian can testify for me.

Are there any advantages to having messed up string tension in 2a? Like, are there any tricks that can take advantage of loose or tight string? If not, bout to throw some swivels on and just do inside loops for like 30 minutes straight. Hardcore loopage

So it’s $5 to mod them and ship it back?

Mods, please delete the multiple “app acting up” posts J Singh 2K accidentally made to reduce clutter in this thread. Thanks.

To some the repetitive nature of looping turns people off from the style, but for me I love it so much. Because when you build enough 2A trick repertoire you can actually do lots of amazing things and it won’t feel like you’re repeating the exact thing every time.
And I’m glad you’re enjoying your 1080s. They’re definitely amazing yoyos whether you’re starting out or a veteran in the game.

I have four pairs of 1080s, I hope you can build a huge collection too~

There are no advantages for a messed up tension. You can, however, practice your tricks while fixing your string tension [so you don’t have to sidewinder all the time.]

Left hand inside loop - tighter [outside loop opposite]
Left hand hop the fence - loosen [outside hop opposite]
Right hand inside loop - loosen [outside loop opposite]
Right hand hop the fence - tighter [outside hop opposite]

Not sure if swivels will help… I’m kinda afraid that the swivel will break and the looper will shoot hard haha.

For the most part you don’t have to. Stock unsanded Raider spacers sit flush with the starburst if you put it on 1080s/900s. As for your loops, that’s good. Keep it up. Keep them solid.

If you’d like you can contact azunyan for a service.

Christian, how much of a difference did you notice between stock loop 900s, and the ones that were modded? And what type of difference?

Ive been practicing regularly for a while now and I still cant do consistent inside loops… Im getting annoyed and impatient, its like learning boingy boing 10x over… Ughhh

Did you make sure your string is short enough and yoyos are lubed? If the yoyo isn’t at its best condition your loops will also suffer no matter how good you are.

As for looping itself, do you make sure it keeps flipping 180 degrees each loop and it stays at an angle? [1’oclock right hand / 11’oclock left hand]. I know you know this already, but it doesn’t hurt to review again 'cause I was in your position before too.

Oh, only practice good loops too. I’m sure you know what a good loop looks/feels like. Practice only those.

Don’t give up. Keep it up.

I’m reading back to previous pages and this post from the 12th page stuck to me.

If you don’t mind me going offtopic for a bit, excuse me.

Lots have changed since May of this year. Lots of people are taking up 3A and are getting creative in the style it’s ridiculous. I like the huge interest in 3A recently - contest freestyles, yoyo videos, and all of that. In contrast to the perception months ago, 3A is getting more popular.

I wish 2A gets its popularity share someday too.

I’m definitely a short guy and I still use string at bottom to mid pocket length, so yup, pretty short. I lube my throw whenever it’s getting less responsive than ideal, which is about ever hour.

I try to keep it at an angle but it doesn’t always work out, I just keep going as long as its pretty straight, I can’t really mimic my loops loop after loop yet but I’m working on it.

I can get 5-10 good loops in 20% of the time but it hasn’t really clicked yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, do you prefer 1080s or unleashed? I’ve tried 808s, modded raiders, and unleashed and prefer the unleashed but am considering getting 1080s and possibly having azunyan mod them.

In what ways does modding 1080s help with performance?

I am still deciding whether or not 1080’s are actually better than raiders or not. I do feel that 1080’s wrap and play sideways much better than raiders, but the feeling when raiders loop is just unmatched by any yoyo other than maybe the vortex.

The mod helps 1080’s spin much more consistently, and give them a better looping feeling. The spacers in the 1080’s are heavily inconsistent, so one must create their own spacers to maximize the potential of the loop 1080s.

1 Like

Could you explain the process of creating new spacers for the 1080?

taking stock yomega spacers and adjusting them to match each yoyo. Because plastic has a lower tolerance than metal, it is nearly impossible to consistently put out matching spacers. Because of this, one must adjust each of them himself using a sandpaper. I don’t use sandpaper though. Sandpaper takes the shape of the object the sand paper is placed on. However, I use an expensive reed resurfacer to make sure each spacer is extremely flat.

Who else has tried modded raiders? How do they compare to other 2a throws?

@andy569
The angle lies on the initial throw. It’s really tempting to throw straight, but try adjusting the tilt of your hand/wrist on your first throw. Even 5 loops at a time is a big deal. As long as they’re at an angle, are consistent, and they’re controllable you’ll be fine.

Personally, I prefer the 1080s because I can fine-tune it to my preferences. The Unleashed is also a great yoyo and I use it to practice around the world type tricks but it’s too heavy for me and it hurts my hands whenever I try loops.

azunyan and I have been discussing modification quite often recently and we’ve been experimenting with all sorts of things. I tried out the mentioned Raider spacer on Loop1080 initially due to curiosity and it’s been working well for me. So I’m recommending it to everybody else too.

@crococorey
I own a pair of modded Raiders I bought from jrodriguez. Granted, they’re EX and they still have the metal spacers but nonetheless still crank modded. But it’s the same feeling - really good.

Raiders/Fireballs are the golden standard for looping yoyos, no doubt. I don’t know how to explain it… it just works very well. Even to those who are starting out it’s perfect for learning.

Word from the street is that sOMEThING, Hiroyuki Suzuki’s yoyo brand, will release a looping yoyo very soon.
It will be called LP and I’m guessing it means LooPing. I’ve also heard from my friends in Japan that apparently it plays really well. Well, enough of me. I’ll let these photos and videos Mickey posted on Instagram speak for itself.

Video ONE - Hiroyuki Suzuki - Testing:

Video TWO - Hiroyuki Suzuki - Testing:

Video THREE - Hiroyasu Ishihara (PON) - Testing:

Video FOUR - Munehiro Ueno and Kensuke Goto - Testing:

Oddly enough, the LP logo looks super similar to Linkin Park’s logo the band has used for many years.
http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.com/d129faf41a0711e38be122000a1fcf39_7.jpg

embedding doesn’t work on forums so these links will do.

How are Hornets I recently got a gift card to a unnamed big box retailer and checking their site I saw they had Hornets in stock. I would be a 2a noob so would they work well for me the other option for like $4 less is raiders.

How much does the gift card have? What you can get depends on how much you’re willing to spend on. For about $48 you can get a pair of 1080s. $36 for a pair of Unleashed or Hornets.
I’d recommend Raiders normally, but since modparts are hard to come buy I’d have to recommend Hornets for a first timer. It should be good :]

Have fun!