2020 String Fling!

For softer look at Toldilock, Surelock, etc. For more whip and texture and less stretch try the trilobal thread. Then you can mix different weights too. 30 to 70 iirc are the common sizes. But you will run into a fun test issue. These mixed strings can play invariably different after break in compared to single thread run.
Coats and Clark dual duty XP provides a very soapy string feel and holds up well.

Peeps still doing string please correct me if I’ve mis-remembered the above. Also check out any of gsimian’s old threads on the topic @YYE. There is a wealth of information in them.

Good luck! Fun thinking about string again.

3 Likes

Yes, when you mix different thread weights AND thread types AND thread colours you can have ‘less-than-happy’ results BUT that doesn’t mean you should not try at all.

My ‘fanciest’ formula was never publicly released because I was only doing wholesale for the last little while before I left the yoyo scene to change my life and start a new career. This formula had FIVE different thread weights and used FOUR different materials. It lasted ages, suicide loops you could fit your head through, wasn’t overly thick and was soft on the hands. I unofficially called it LUTHER. No, I’m not a comics guy. :slight_smile: I may make a few to toss into the StringFling. We shall see.

4 Likes

Supplies ordered!:fist::fist::fist:

1 Like

Agreed. I wouldn’t have bothered doing all the string I did if there wasn’t so many options to test and discover. I imagine we all had that exciting and adventurous feeling trying to discover something new. Even better if it performed in some category.

Luther sounds nice! The ability to make very minor alterations with string weight/type and then fine tune with several others is a long testing road but definitely worth taking in string making.

2 Likes

Bumpage?

2 Likes

14 strings makers on here trading strings, but I think we can better then that. so if you make strings consider trying this out

2 Likes

I snuck in a few minutes and made 20 strings each of 4 different formats.
I look forward to some interesting stuff in MY mailbox as this project ‘unwinds’.

/g

5 Likes

I can’t wait to see what you have been working on. I am making a few twicks to my strings and them I will have a final product

4 Likes

I’m going to give this another few days. It seems like we have reached critical mass. Might as well strike while the iron is hot.

4 Likes

i recommend you close, “registration”, then give everyone a bit of time to actually make strings. just my opinion. :+1:

4 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking. I just want to give a heads up. A few days warning for any stragglers or late-comers.

One last call for the string fling.

Speak now or forever hold your pee.

5 Likes

O yes I want participation. :pray:

I really like this idea, but I’ve been putting off adding myself to the list for a bit now. Time to break out the drill and get busy

5 Likes

I know right

4 Likes

Why don’t we do this? Y’all just send me twenty of anything you want sent. If you have cards or stickers or bubblegum, or giraffes, just send them to me and I’ll start sorting things out getting ready for mailing.

We’ll set the cap at 20. First come, first served on the remaining spots. If we don’t get that many, I’ll run some PIFs (pay-it-forward) with the remaining packages.

Send me a pm and I’ll give y’all my address.

5 Likes

Supplies arrived yesterday. Production begins now😎.
I’ll PM soon as I’ve completed- I make about 10 a session.

How many are we now @Avvatar?

1 Like

20 is the number thou shalt aspire to.

Sweet golden number stands.

1 Like

7 Likes

Round 2 today. I’m trying for 3 types. Here’s hoping for good weather - I use an outside rig.

3 Likes

20 triple pink complete!

…on to the next!

10 Likes