How to Clean Your YoYo Bearing

That might just be because you’ve bronken it in. Lube usually needs some break-in time. Other than that, I have no idea.

No addment

Erm… I used the lube, it got quiet, one hour later it was loud. I played for two hours, and it is still kinda loud… I need something to compare. Uh… how about like a cough… No… like a…a…
BIKE!

Yeah. It sounds like a bike. Without the clicking. Just the noise level. Or when you’re inside a running car.

I’m Back!

One thing to add. You can do away with the deshielding. I cleaned my bearing with sheilds on ;D However, i think i need to clean it again, it seems like there is still lube on it. When i stick it on a paint brush and strike it on a piece of paper like a match, it spins at the speed of light, then suddenly starts vibrating because of the leftover lube.Thats because the shield couldn’t be removed.

Lesson learnt: Don’t use EZO Bearings for yoyoing. haha jk. But seriously, you don’t need to remove the shield, but make sure u give it a good shake.

Bad news. I used trumpet valve oil and it worked perfectly. I was using YYJ lube.

That song is cover is amazing! good guide to btw! :smiley:

thanks for the help samad! ;D

I know there are a lot of posts on cleaning bearings but I do have a question I haven’t seen yet.

Rather than using mineral spirits has anyone ever tried HEET?

It’s an alcohol that is used as antifreeze for gas lines in cars. While rubbing alcohol is diluted with water, HEET is not. It actually absorbs water to get it out of the gas lines. And since it’s an alcohol it will evaporate quickly.

So, anyone ever tried this or know of a reason why it’s a bad idea?

Make sure it doesn’t leave any stains, and it might be fine. ;D Other than that, I’m not sure. I’ve never heard of HEET, and no one talks about it. Don’t recommend it until someone with billlions of bearings to spare tries it, it might ruin your bearing. I don’ know why though, just don’t do it. Use lighter fluid/mineral spirits, because people use it without problems.

that was an excellent tutorial !!!great job! I totally understand how to clean my bearing now. Thanx SAMAD!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley:

Well, I had a bearing that seemed as though it had slowed quite a bit so I did my first cleaning.

Where does all that come from?? There was a wad of something inside the shield. It was almost as big as a bearing ball.

I had one scare though. I wanted to make sure the bearing was completely dry before lubing it and putting back on the yoyo. So I hung it in front of the fan while I ate supper. So 20 min later I grab it and it’s locked up. AGGGHHH!!! Minor panic.

I put some lube on and started trying to spin the bearing. It freed up and seems to be just fine. It’s all back together and seems to be spinning much better now that the wad is out of the bearing.

what if i dont have mineral spirit can i just use soap and water then lube it up???

That will rust your bearing. Unless you have a 10 ball bearing made by OneDropDesign, don’t use that. You can also use lighter fluid. Don’t use stuff that has water.

yeah 10 balls can be cleaned with water cuz there stainless steel ;D i love my 10ball

You don’t want to use a magnet with your bearings. This can magnetize your bearing and when any metal shavings at all get inside the bearing, they have a chance of sticking to the balls and messing up their spin.

1 Like

I really have to say, that is very useful advice, and i didn’t even think of that.

Ape is right, be careful of magnetizing your bearing ;D

Trumpet Valve Oil is like also Thin Lube right?

Yeah.

could you use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean a bearing? because my friend says you can, but I’m not quite sure.

Well like everything else I would recommend just using the plain old mineral spirits, but I would think the alcohol would work since to speak of there isn’t any water in it.

Is charcoal starter the same as lighter fluid? I found some and was wondering if they can be used to clean bearings.

And, is Nail Polish Remover useable? It’s 100% acetone, so I think it could be a substitute for paint thinner.