How do you deal with being nervous on stage?

As someone who still REGULARLY (i.e. EVERY DANG TIME I COMPETE) deals with brain shattering nervousness… here are a few things I’ve found helpful over the years:

1. Practice. Know your routine in and out. If you know your tricks back and forth, and what comes next… you won’t sweat it (as badly) when a screw-up happens.

2. Deep breaths. Specifically… About a minute before you go on stage, push your index and middle finger into the artery in your neck (not too hard) and take your pulse… in through the nose… out through the mouth. I got this tip from Boyd right before the first contest I ever won… it’s helped me out ever since!

3. Eliminate variables. Wash your hands about 3-4 minutes before you go on if your palms get sweaty (like mine do). If you’re competing outside, use a dry aerosol deoderant (Arrid XX works great!) and spray your hands to combat humidity. Set up your back up yoyos with fresh strings and make sure they’re all knot-free.

4. Don’t just pick a song that you like… pick a song that you’re REALLY comfortable with. Personally… every time I’ve won a contest or come really close… I’ve used music from mewithoutYou. I wouldn’t say that they’re a “lucky charm” or anything like that… but there’s something to be said for being comfortable in your own skin when you’re on stage and not worrying about whether your song is going to appeal to the crowd. (within reason… I really like some metal bands… but I don’t think I’d ever use them on stage haha)

5. Have fun. Remember that people don’t form their opinion of you as a person based on whether or not your freestyle was “good”. People like you for who you are.

6. If you’re really competing seriously… try not to take the other competitors freestyles too seriously. It becomes way too easy to psych yourself out and go, "oh man… there’s no way I’m as good as player-X… " when I pay too close of attention… I get even MORE nervous. Just watch the freestyles to enjoy them… then tip #5 is a LOT easier.

3 Likes