How do you deal with being nervous on stage?

Just try to have fun, smile, laugh, it will help :wink:

i agree with logi

Hug a monkey.

Youā€™ll be happy. :slight_smile:

One thing people are leaving out:

Itā€™s one thing to just perform in front of people, be it 10 people or 100,000 screaming maniacs. Thatā€™s easy.

Itā€™s another thing when the people you are ideally performing for are the group of judges at the table in front of you. Their job is to stare and pick apart every single little microscopic thing you do and PUNISH you for anything not ā€œperfectā€ or ā€œflawlessā€. To be analyzed in such a critical scenario is where the nervousness is justified. That isnā€™t easy.

If you can ignore the judging factor, then it becomes easier. Still, some people choke when they are under the spotlight. The thing is to get into your own little bubble where you can focus on what the task at hand is. Once you can get there, then youā€™re fine. Shut out ALL distractions.

I personally donā€™t care for the spotlight, but I can handle it. Not with yoyo but thatā€™s because I am not into performing for audiences really. With other stuff, mostly pertaining to concerts, no issues.

PRETEND THE CROUD IS NOT THEIR.Or pretend your just practiceing.

I always smile like a fool man!

Especially on stage!

Fools are cools.

vomit

calm down were not going to kill the batman

As someone who still REGULARLY (i.e. EVERY DANG TIME I COMPETE) deals with brain shattering nervousnessā€¦ here are a few things Iā€™ve found helpful over the years:

1. Practice. Know your routine in and out. If you know your tricks back and forth, and what comes nextā€¦ you wonā€™t sweat it (as badly) when a screw-up happens.

2. Deep breaths. Specificallyā€¦ About a minute before you go on stage, push your index and middle finger into the artery in your neck (not too hard) and take your pulseā€¦ in through the noseā€¦ out through the mouth. I got this tip from Boyd right before the first contest I ever wonā€¦ itā€™s helped me out ever since!

3. Eliminate variables. Wash your hands about 3-4 minutes before you go on if your palms get sweaty (like mine do). If youā€™re competing outside, use a dry aerosol deoderant (Arrid XX works great!) and spray your hands to combat humidity. Set up your back up yoyos with fresh strings and make sure theyā€™re all knot-free.

4. Donā€™t just pick a song that you likeā€¦ pick a song that youā€™re REALLY comfortable with. Personallyā€¦ every time Iā€™ve won a contest or come really closeā€¦ Iā€™ve used music from mewithoutYou. I wouldnā€™t say that theyā€™re a ā€œlucky charmā€ or anything like thatā€¦ but thereā€™s something to be said for being comfortable in your own skin when youā€™re on stage and not worrying about whether your song is going to appeal to the crowd. (within reasonā€¦ I really like some metal bandsā€¦ but I donā€™t think Iā€™d ever use them on stage haha)

5. Have fun. Remember that people donā€™t form their opinion of you as a person based on whether or not your freestyle was ā€œgoodā€. People like you for who you are.

6. If youā€™re really competing seriouslyā€¦ try not to take the other competitors freestyles too seriously. It becomes way too easy to psych yourself out and go, "oh manā€¦ thereā€™s no way Iā€™m as good as player-Xā€¦ " when I pay too close of attentionā€¦ I get even MORE nervous. Just watch the freestyles to enjoy themā€¦ then tip #5 is a LOT easier.

3 Likes