Save me from Tension

Hi!
the number one problem I have with yoyoing which causes me to stop more than anything is string tension. the string gets to tight almost every couple throws.

I’m sure there are ways to deal with it that I don’t know of as I never see people in contests fix their tension and I’ve found some ways but they’re all problematic.

• dropping the yoyo dead and letting it spin- no way
  • dropping it dead, taking the slip-knot off and “rubbing” all the way to the slip-knot -no way
  • changing the string- fast tightening happens with every string
  • using a UFO- repetitive and, well, vert
  • using a sidewinder- repetitive and, well, not working that good with unresponsive play
  • using a split bottom mount tension releaser trick- repetitive
  • wearing the slip-knot with the single string towards the pinky for loosening- makes the slip-knot slide and its problematic to always change it while playing
  • throwing left handed, which has the same effect as flipping the slip-knot- nope
  • winding towards you- supposed to work just for the 1st throw? anyways that is the best idea I’ve found in the meanwhile, but it makes the string loose and less responsive over time.

so what’s the secret formula? I can’t stand this string-tension tension.
is there a way I don’t know and doesn’t have such disadvantages?
thanks-a-lot!!!

(please don’t answer with “just fix the tension and play”. that’s not why I ask for advice around here and I’ve been getting too many of those lately)

I had a huge problem with tension until I really learned how to snap-start. Hand-winding the string causes a lot of tension every time you do it, so in about 3 winds, you’re running at too much tension to throw.

I hadn’t heard about the “wind it toward you” strategy, but if you’re saying it’s making it looser, then just alternate winds. Make note of the tension before you wind it, and then wind it toward you or away from you depending on how tight or loose it is.

1 Like

hmm thanks for the info.
before I’ll learn to snap start I’ll learn how to do a sidewinder-bind, and when the spin dies I’ll alternate between winding directions as you said.

here you go there are heaps of ways to change your tension on this thread which was in the trick section if you would have searched around http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,10310.0.html