zgrt: Introducing The Alebrije

Another project that pushed our limits. More details to come shortly.

46 Likes

OMG THIS IS INSANE !!! I already like where this is heading :star_struck: if this throw is a collab i might actually lose it !!!

6 Likes

So jazzed. Wood is good. :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Wood is very good. :wink: ZeroGravity wood is out of this world.

9 Likes

Thanks guys–tons of effort invested in this project. More to come really soon!

12 Likes

Wood is very good and looking stunning, can’t wait that you release it and see people playing with this! :dizzy:

8 Likes

pogchamp-pog

2 Likes

El Alebrije! Color me excited.

5 Likes

The Alebrije

This project is the result of many hours of work, trials, testing, R&D, and many other stuff that are probably missing in the number of things we explored while developing this project.

Specs:

Diameter: 61mm
Width: 31 mm
Weight: ~51 gr in walnut and ~54 gr in white oak
Gap using ZGRT fixed axle: 2.3 mm

Material: Walnut & White Oak

When developing this project we had one thing in mind: creating a yoyo with an interchangeable bearing seat to accommodate different bearing sizes and widths. We started playing around with few concepts to more or less understand if this idea could become in a potential project.

Having that feature in mind, we went ahead and prototyped this system with aluminum body material and with few different type of shapes just to have an idea about the possibilities in using this modular system.

By playing around with the design and the different prototypes, the idea of incorporating it into a wooden throw blew our minds as this would be the perfect candidate to also bring another element or functionality to the system: fixed axle.

Having the experience in designing El MiJo, we decided to also bring such versatility to this design and make this wooden throw capable to use fixed axle and ball bearings.

The concept finally started to have a better shape of what we were looking to accomplish originally. The Alebrije then was born.

Alebrijes are surreal creatures from an oneiric (dreaming) world conformed by physical elements of different fantastical/mythical and real animals. The creatures typically have the four classical elements as part of them: earth, water, air and fire. Around that idea, we wanted a throw to have different elements such as: wood, aluminum, different bearing sizes and types.

One of the characteristics of alebrijes is their multicolour designs and the way we wanted to express that is by adding different colours to the bearing seats and to the outer caps to contrast the beautiful tones of natural wood.

Due to the nature and characteristics of the wood, the process of making this throw required the utilization of CNC to accommodate the modular bearing seat and cap system as precise as possible.

The effort and resources invested in this throw were out of our original scope but the final result was worth the effort.

We are planning to bring the Alebrije to life for Fixed Axle February. At this point we will be able to accommodate approximately 50 units only and the price point would be around $67. More information about when and how to order will be available at our site, IG or by DM.

Hope you enjoy this throw as much as we do.

Let nothing hold you down!

37 Likes

You had me at 61mm, these look sweet

4 Likes

Yes!! I’m so pumped for this!

9 Likes

Wow! Count me in :raised_hands:

6 Likes

Dibs for guessing the name? :joy:

6 Likes

That was given for those who have seen alebrijes :grin:

4 Likes

How did you guess another zgrt project so perfectly !!! First the knuckleyo and now the alebriji :sweat_smile: Tell me, what’s your secret I need to know !!!

3 Likes

High fat, high sugar diet, zero physical exertion. I live by those three rules.

7 Likes

This looks awesome!

4 Likes

I’m so stoked for this! I feel bad for missing out on the El Mijo. Hope I can grab one of these mythical creatures instead!

6 Likes

Super excited about this. Hope i can get my hands on this one.

3 Likes

Those looks awesome and great name, even if not in that world this seems quite a new and original idea for a wood fixed axle, such a great looking job on this one, love it! :heart:

5 Likes