Yoyos in pop culture

In season 4, episode 4 of Stranger Things, the pizza dude was playing with a yoyo. Was distracted yet knew the sound of a yoyo being played.

4 Likes

Looked liked a butterfly.

2 Likes

When Dumbledore meets Tom Riddle for the first time in ā€œHarry Potter and the Halfblood Princeā€, there is a yoyo among the items that Tom has stolen from the other kids in the orphanage.

21 Likes

Good eye! Iā€™ve watched these like a million times and never caught that!

5 Likes

I just rewatched it this weekend with my kids, and I noticed it for the first time.

2 Likes

It shows up again, briefly, in episode 6, I believe.

Stole this from @edhaponik I missed this lol :joy:

11 Likes

Oh yeah, was re-reading and know one that is pretty big that hasnā€™t been mentioned on this list.

Ness and his companions in Earthbound/Mother series use a yoyo as a weapon. Itā€™s also his up and down smash attacks in Super Smash bros.
Yomega had a special color way released for this, the PK Yomega and I at least know MK1 Sliver has a PK color way.

Also in some Kirby video games he can gain the yoyo ability. When I was younger I always wanted that ability or the wheel.

6 Likes

This was a lot of fun to design!

12 Likes

Spotted in Season 9 of The Walking Deadā€¦

Any thoughts on what type it is?

9 Likes

Nothing crazy but thereā€™s a moment in South Park where Kenny is out front of a theater playing with a yoyo unaware that he was about to get trampled on by exiting theater goers. The episode was produced during the time of the yoyo boom which likely still has nothing much to do with it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Stolen from @richieluvsyoyos

15 Likes

I canā€™t tell if he has the string on the correct finger. Or is there a ā€œcorrectā€ finger and have we all been duped?

1 Like

Looks to me like itā€™s tied to the middle finger above the middle knuckle (i think i see tape as well on the finger) and the string is over the pointer finger.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s correct but i put the throw on my middle finger, right near the middle knuckle (toward the tip side). Though sometimes near the knuckle by the tipā€¦i change it up

Enjoy the throw
kgb

4 Likes

I guess Iā€™m the only one here whoā€™s seen the Dora movie. I thought it was fun. There are two scenes with her yo-yo, one of which is some light combat. She goes to a normal high school in California for the first time ever and gets hassled for bringing totally harmless things in her backpack. I donā€™t know why this clip cuts out the yo-yo, i guess to save something for the theater?

And hereā€™s the ā€˜combatā€™:

ā€¦ and iā€™m just now noticing that she does rock the baby in a really weird way, and its CG. They cgā€™d the yoyo trick. Ridiculous.

itā€™s a pretty nice looking wooden yoyo, tho.

13 Likes

Not mentioned in the song lyrics but a yoyo is thrown around a bit around the 3 minute mark.

9 Likes

Got it ! LOL

8 Likes

Very competent yoyoing lol

1 Like
14 Likes

Found another in a SNES game called The Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Unlike Atomic Betty, this game is actually really good. Go play it!

6 Likes